ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Maintain stroke thickness of imported file in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lizzie Green
Maintain stroke thickness of imported file in after effects
on Jun 12, 2017 at 4:27:32 am

Hello,
I am wondering if it is possible to maintain the stroke thickness of a photoshop file imported into After Effects? I am making an animation using After Effects and I have created my background and characters using photoshop. I plan on using a camera in AE to zoom in and out on my characters/background, however I do not want the lines to get thicker when I zoom in (I will be zooming in pretty close). Is there a possible expression which could be applied to a certain property, or some type of setting which I may have overlooked?

I really appreciate anyones help on this issue, as I have been searching for an answer for almost a week.

Thank You! :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Maintain stroke thickness of imported file in after effects
on Jun 12, 2017 at 1:48:55 pm

In a word, "no".

Any time you scale something up or move a camera closer to a layer, the image gets bigger. Which includes any stroke you apply.

If you did what you propose, you'd have to selectively animate stroke width. You could do that, but then it would look like the stroke width is shrinking or growing in comparison to the rest of the image. That's weird, frankly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 12, 2017 at 4:24:50 pm

I seriousely hate how the stroke effect changes depending on how zoomed in you are. you could pre compose and then make 3d. or instead of strokes sometimes i will use a drop shadow at 100 opaticty 0 distance, 0 softness..duplicate 5 times and then increase the softness of number 1 only and that gives me a nice hard edge

Return to posts index

Lizzie Green
on Jun 12, 2017 at 10:51:07 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out :)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jun 13, 2017 at 12:28:48 pm

In one word: Yes ☺

you can if you use a stroke layer style. Since it renders after transformation it will stay constant no matter if scaled or zoomed into with a camera.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]