ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shrink bounds of (text) layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
victor jantea
Shrink bounds of (text) layer?
on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:39:33 pm

Hi everyone, first time here, but have been reading up on this forum since forever. Thank you everyone for the help you've provided ☺

On to the issue... my end goal is to Bezier Warp a text layer to suck it into a point, OS style...

Problem is, the Bezier Warp effect applies to the whole comp size, not just the text. So far I've tried: paragraph text, precomping, masks, parenting, Warp/Mesh Warp/Wave Warp, neither worked. What's really sticking it to me though is that the Bezier Warp effect applies correctly to a small solid... I.E. its corners are at the corners of the solid...

One solution is to type it in Illustrator, create outlines, import into AE, but it's obviously a bit of a drag and kinda ridiculous that you need a workaround for something that should intuitively just work...

So my question is: is there a way to shrink the bounding box of a layer (besides masks, which in this instance has no effect, and precomping into a small comp which, in this instance, creates an extra step whenever I want to modify something in the layer)?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Shrink bounds of (text) layer?
on Mar 14, 2017 at 3:06:42 pm

Precompose the text, then change the dimensions of the pre comp to fit snugly around the text.

To work efficiently, it helps to scrutinize the text before you precompose to eliminate backtracking. Obviously, changing the text entails more work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

victor jantea
on Mar 14, 2017 at 3:21:16 pm

Thank you! Yes, that is what I ended up doing.
Wouldn't it be great to have an effect that can shrink/grow/otherwise alter the bounds of a layer? As an advanced "Grow bounds" (which rarely works anyway)...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2017 at 5:19:30 pm

Yeah, when Grow Bounds first came out, everyone recommended it. Now no one does.

I think everyone learned a hard lesson.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]