ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE incorrectly interprets External Composition tag

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Simmons
AE incorrectly interprets External Composition tag
on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:24:30 am
Last Edited By Tim Simmons on Mar 15, 2017 at 8:01:02 am

I'm trying to import position,rotation and scale data from an cinema 4d animation using external composition tag. The motion trajectory seems to be correct, but Z and Y rotation axis seem to switched, scale is incorrect.

I manually adjusted these settings, but after that there is still some rotation offset which I can't manually correct.

I am having second thoughts about the whole process. What am I doing wrong? Sure AE doesn't want us to manually adjust (unsuccessfully) the exported keyframes?

This is the link to c4d project:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0vnb5jwbx1s51k/ANI3.c4d?dl=0

LED OFF is the solid layer.

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
Re: AE incorrectly interprets External Composition tag
on Mar 17, 2017 at 10:39:26 am

You shouldn't have to manually adjust anything, this definitely can work. Probably be something to do with setting the Cineware camera to 'centered comp camera' rather than 'comp camera'.... or some issue with the ext compositing tagged objects grouping in relation to the camera in the C4D comp... or some exported after effects camera parenting stuff that's not come in to C4D properly... or any number of weird cineware problems 😃

Return to posts index

Tim Simmons
on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:26:36 pm

There is indeed a an abundance of weird cineware problems ☺ Did you played with the file attached? I mean, is there something obviously wrong with it?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 24, 2017 at 3:33:50 pm

With the 'solid' property enabled on the external compositing tag an AE solid will be oriented facing along the Z-axis (the orientation of the axis is all that matters, the way the mesh is facing has no impact). Your screen element's Z-axis is pointing up when it should be pointing out of the screen.

If you start from a plane primitive then the orientation of the plane should be set to +Z (or possibly -Z, I forget) in order to match in AE.

If you want to keep using the screen you have you can use the Mesh > Axis Center > Axis Center... dialog. With the face of the plane selected enable Alignment in the Axis Center dialog and set Axis to Z and Alignment to Normals. That should fix the main orientation issue.

The other problem you describe is because you're switching from one animated model of the iPhone to another model with a different animation. The screen follows the first model perfectly but the second model's animation is different so the screen does not follow along.

-Darby

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]