ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make a wet/ reflective surface

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margaux Millet
Make a wet/ reflective surface
on Mar 11, 2017 at 4:30:17 am

Hi,

I'm creating a kind of "cyberpunk" street and would like to make my wall reflective or a bit wet, as if it had rained on it and it was drying, to add some lights reflecting on the wall, for example such as this example below. Would you have any idea concerning the way to make the wall a little bit reflective? Thank you in advance !

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/225/680/large/ramon-...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Make a wet/ reflective surface
on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:06:17 pm

I'd be tempted to find a wall & pavement similar to what you want, hose it down & shoot the result. With lights in a couple-three different configurations.
It also helps to know what you're trying to accomplish. We can only see a still, and there isn't much liquid in it that I can see.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 12, 2017 at 3:15:03 am

Wet surfaces are largely about the specular highlights. Duplicate your footage layer. Use a Curves effect to greatly brighten only the highlights while darkening or crushing the shadows and midtones. Change the blend mode of your layer to add or screen. Optionally, make it 3D and add lights to your scene for quasi-realistic control over how bright the highlights are and what the falloff is.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Margaux Millet
on Mar 27, 2017 at 4:05:44 am

Thank you for your answer ! I see what you mean, it's a bit shameful to admit but I don't know how to manage the curves properly, what do you mean by brighten the highlights? I mean, what do I have to do to the curve to get this result properly? I'm sorry I guess it's a basic in AE, but I didn't have the occasion to learn how to make such a thing. Thank you in advance !

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 27, 2017 at 2:08:33 pm

Increase contrast by pulling the input black and input white closer together, like this:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 12, 2017 at 9:05:18 am

Check you Andrew Kramer's most recent tutorial on making a rain splattered window:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/realistic_rain_drop_fx/

If you want your surface to look wet, rather than just shiny, then this would be the way to go.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 13, 2017 at 1:23:18 pm

A real quick and dirty way is to duplicate the layer and use the CC Glue effect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]