ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pre-Comp Layers and Glitch Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Morales
Pre-Comp Layers and Glitch Effects
on Mar 10, 2017 at 3:22:47 pm

So I'm not too expirenced with AE, but I found a tutorial that everyone said was easy. ( Here's the link:

) I tired doing the Pre-Comp layer the way he said to do it, but it wouldn't work the right way. He does a cut in the video and all of the sudden he has a singular pre-comp layer and I can't figure out how he did it. I really appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pre-Comp Layers and Glitch Effects
on Mar 10, 2017 at 3:56:53 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:01:18 pm

Oh, Gawd Almighty, help us!
Rescue us, oh Good Lord! Protect us from the forces of confusion!
A YouTube AE Tutorial done by a high school kid! Say it ain't so! Run!!!!!

Who do you think does better AE tutorials: AE Pros or high school kids?

I have no doubt the kid can do the effect, but even so I didn't even bother to watch past the first 6 seconds. I can pretty much guarantee there are errors in the presentation and steps this kid forgot to mention, which makes effective learning futile. That's the difference between kids and the pros -- the pros are thorough.

Do yourself a favor -- forget about that tutorial.

Get your AE learning the RIGHT way, learning the basics from the Pros and getting better. If you try to jump into the deep end of the pool with high school kids, you'll be wearing lead weights. AE is just too complicated and quirky to say to yourself, "how tough can this be?" Without the basics, it's almost impossible.

Go to the Adobe web site. Find the AE tutorials. Learn from the ground up. Look at the AE tutorials here on the COW. Some may be a little old, but the principles still apply and they're VERY valuable... ESPECIALLY Andrew Devis' AE Basics series.

You may be offended by this post right now, but if you take the advice of this 21-year AE veteran, you'll thank yourself later.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay Morales
on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:19:29 pm

Probably should have mentioned that I'm a highschool kid. Oh well, you're probably right anyways. I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy, but everyone told me it would be, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll try and fiddle with it a bit before I ask around some more. Do you have any recommendations for better tutorials that can get me this effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:00:45 pm

...and I quote:

"Go to the Adobe web site. Find the AE tutorials. Learn from the ground up. Look at the AE tutorials here on the COW. Some may be a little old, but the principles still apply and they're VERY valuable... ESPECIALLY Andrew Devis' AE Basics series."

No offense, but if you watch tutorials like you read posts, you might be able to dope out the effect with a little more scrutiny.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:31:34 pm

Hello Jay.

I'd just like to point out that as you learn more about AE this is a very useful forum, and that not everyone on this forum is a jerk.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:29:38 pm

YouTube is a bit tricky to get on the network where I work, but precomposing can be done by pressing a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+C on PC CMD+Shift+C on Mac.

What part in the tutorial does the magic happen?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]