<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kuba Lu
Apple DV-PAL 25 4:2:0 (PAL 601)
on Mar 9, 2017 at 3:56:20 pm

Hello ☺

I was asked to render a file in that codec:
Apple DV-PAL 25 4:2:0 (PAL 601)

Not sure what that is exactly

I have got DV-PAL on my mac but it won't allow me to render 16:9 without black edges

Has any of you guys came across that codec ?

Best,
Kuba

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Apple DV-PAL 25 4:2:0 (PAL 601)
on Mar 9, 2017 at 4:48:50 pm

I'm not familiar with the codec, but it sounds like you may have to change the pixel aspect ratio before you export.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 9, 2017 at 4:55:48 pm

by 'apple dv-pal' i assume they want a quicktime (.mov) encoded with the dv-pal codec. to get that, from the render queue click the output module, set the format to 'quicktime' then click the format options button and select 'dv-pal' from the video codec dropdown.

as for 16x9 in an sd codec, the frame size for all pal dv media is 720x576, whether it's 4x3 or 16x9. the pixel aspect ratio is what determines if it should be 4x3 or 16x9. the easy way to have this set up correctly is to use a comp with the correct dv preset. what i'd suggest is creating a new comp with the 'pal d1/dv widescreen' preset, then drop your current comp into that comp and choose layer>transform>fit to comp. the comp will likely looked squeezed (or anamorphic), this is normal. if you want to view it in 16x9, there is a toggle button at the bottom of the comp viewer window that looks like a rectangle with a 2-headed arrow above it, click that to toggle between square pixel preview and non-square pixel preview.

then render that dv comp using the output module described above.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:46:43 pm

I agree with Kevin's assessment to use a pal d1/dv widescreen comp preset. To make life easier, I'd use it only for rendering.

I'd create the actual AE work in a 25fps comp at 1024x576 pixels. SQUARE pixels. That way, circles will look circular and squares will be square. When the time comes to render, nest this comp in a comp made from the preset mentioned above. Scale it to fit new comp size: Ctl-Opt-f (win), Cmd-Opt-f (Mac). Then render.

Yes, the image will be squeezed horizontally. It SHOULD be. You're rendering 16x9 work in a codec originally intended for 4x3 video.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kuba Lu
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:07:21 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for all your words of advice. I am sure these tips will come in handy one day. I think the spec wasn't given in a very clear way as I delivered just normal HD and it was accepted. I guess the spec they send to producers isn't written by a professional because to me it just didn't make sense to render in that specific codec but in 1920x1080 (this is also what they required, sorry, I didn't mention it in my post). Anyways, all the best. Make pixels, not war. Kuba

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]