ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cache speed rules all, correct? Also, is my build on-point?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Menefee
Cache speed rules all, correct? Also, is my build on-point?
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:19:17 pm

This post could be in the Premiere Pro forum but After Effects always seems to be the most taxing.

I am looking at buying a new desktop and want to be sure I am planning things out correctly. Here is the build:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JKNET

I already have a mass/backup storage in a 4TB drive. As you can see in the build link, I am looking at buying an M.2 SSD and an EVO Pro. I am thinking I would put OS on EVO and then use the M.2 SSD for the cache, keeping all of my project files and video files on the 4TB drive.

Yes, the 4TB drive is the slowest of the three but AE or PP wont be using that drive once I place in-project because it creates a more readable version of the file in the cache, correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cache speed rules all, correct? Also, is my build on-point?
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:24:48 pm

PP will read off the media drive. That's why they talk a lot about fast drives & fast connections on the PP forums.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Menefee
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:58:03 pm

PP aside for a second, I would still like an answer related to AE. Does cache rule?

Back on PP, it has cache settings much like AE when I go to Preferences>Media. What is the difference?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2017 at 10:55:13 pm

Well, cache speed isn't the cure-all it seems you're hoping for, but it's great to have for previews. Put your cache on a big, SSD (for its fast read-write speed) and previews are MUCH better.
Fast processors still are the determining factor in AE render speeds. I'm not a hard-core hardware guy, so I can only speak in generalities.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Menefee
on Mar 7, 2017 at 11:21:19 pm

Thanks Dave.

It comes down to a bit of laziness and a lot of workflow. I have to maintain every file I shoot/receive. That means I have a lot of files and they need to be safe. I bought the 4TB external RAID for just that.

I dread moving files from one drive to the next each project.

The external RAID 1 tests at 158 MB/s sequential read and 129 MB/s sequential write. Not even close to an SSD but, I think fast enough for even 4K video.

After all, the "best" drive setup needs 3 SSDs (1. OS/Software, 2. Project files, 3. Cache). That means I need to spend even more on my already expensive build...... PLUS the pain of moving files.

Sure, having project media on an SSD would be best/better. But as long as the external RAID 1 doesnt bottleneck everything (seeing how OS/software is on SSD and cache is on very fast M.2) I think I'll be okay. I can always add an SSD at a later time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31:58 pm

Oh, I wish you had mentioned that sooner! A RAID is a marvelous place indeed for media files. It's just not the best place in the world for After Effects caches. Combined with a fast connection to your machine, it's a great place to keep media.

SSD's are far better for previewing because of their zippy read-write speed. They can help you get most AE previews in real time.

Long story short: keep your media right where it is -- on the RAID.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Mar 8, 2017 at 1:47:27 pm

cache speed would rule more if the caching in AE actually worked properly and didn't need clearing every 5 minutes to troubleshoot inexplicable problems, or turning off entirely to get certain shots to render at all without crashing :-/

but yeah put it on the fastest drive you can, that way when it's working it will be fast ,and when it's not you won't have to wait 10 minutes for GBs of cache to be deleted :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]