ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyingworkflow with Canon log Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler McNeill
Keyingworkflow with Canon log Footage
on Mar 7, 2017 at 12:46:14 pm

Hi there,

I have a quick question concerning keying Canon log footage in After Effects with Keylight.
I found some other posts about that topic but sadly not exactly that same situation so I give it a try here.

For the first time I am working with C-300 Mk2 Footage in log which looks great with a LUT but flat and greyish without.

My usual workflow would be to duplicate my footage layer, degrain the top one, precomp that and use Keylight to key it. That layer I use as an Alpha-Matte for the untouched footage, preserving grain etc. ...

To get a good key and take real advantage of the log-footage, would I go and just add a LUT to my keying-footage precomp and use Keylight on it?

I am not at all experienced with colourmanagement inside AE, but as far as I read you could also set your workspace to rec709 and interpret your footage as Log (or something called Universal Camera Film Printing Density).

I don't know if that makes sense and that your footage maybe would then appear to look like as if the LUT would be applied because it it would be interpreted correctly for viewing in Rec709. Would that make the the key more "correct"?

I hope you can help me and enlighten me a little bit about that topic.

Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Keyingworkflow with Canon log Footage
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:51:40 pm

I would apply a LUT pre-key so Keylight has more vibrant and contrasted colors with which to work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tyler McNeill
on Mar 8, 2017 at 2:27:11 pm

Thanks Michael for your reply! That's what I thought too. It's funny that there seams to be enough information in the unaltered log-Footage for Keylight to get a good key out of that flat looking image. So maybe I was worried for nothing.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 8, 2017 at 3:06:59 pm

Oh, yes, Keylight can often work just fine sans color correction. Log footage often has plenty of information present. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]