ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best pc build for AE in 2017! I really need advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jigger rendon navasquez
Best pc build for AE in 2017! I really need advice
on Mar 3, 2017 at 1:07:27 am

This is my 2nd day doing research about what specs will really help my work in after effects. I find it much more confusing when I encounter new terminologies from intel and amd. My usual work in After effects is making explainer videos and create some 3d photo/video slide template.

This is my current specs.
i7-4790
gtx970
16gb ram
ssd - 2x

In terms of processor what will be the best in year 2017? because we have the new Ryzen 1800x compared to i7-6900k which is $1000 twice the price of Ryzen. I can afford a $400-$590 processor but I need a bang for buck because I live in Philippines computer parts are much more expensive here. Also the i7-6850k is just around $570. Im not sure weather Ryzen will be compatible with AE or they are in harmony in terms of computing, something I read in some comments that AMD lacks PCIe lanes etc. that made me doubt again for the Ryzen 1800x.

For the graphics cards I have these questions.
Can I use AMD video cards(more affordable)? I dont use raytrace 3d but I use the regular 3d like the camera tool. or should I just go with gxt 1070? will I benefit if I go to gtx1080? I also saw some words in the nvidia website that they will be making a comeback support to raytrace 3d on their pascal gpu in 2017.

when I use the camera tool in After effects im using OpenGL right? not cuda cores(for raytrace 3d only)?

I really prefer faster previews and ram rendering for previews.

The sure thing is I will be having 32gb or 64gb of ram for my next build.

Thank you so much for the help :)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best pc build for AE in 2017! I really need advice
on Mar 3, 2017 at 2:15:44 pm

I'd wait a month or two until we can get some real-world performance data on Ryzen before deciding.

Forget the ray-tracing renderer. Adobe is not actively developing it anymore. They're focusing their 3D efforts on C4D integration.

Ae uses OpenGL for drawing the UI and for Fast Draft mode, but that's it. Normal camera/viewport moves are rendered on the CPU.

That said, Adobe does seem to be looking a little more to the GPU. The last few releases have brought GPU acceleration to some effects, a few at a time: Gaussian Blur, Lumetri Color, Sharpen, Brightness and Contrast, Find Edges, Glow, Hue/Saturation, Invert, and Tint. On Windows, Ae can use either CUDA or OpenCL for these. On macOS, Ae can use either OpenCL or Metal.

I continue to recommend lots of RAM, and a fast SSD for the cache.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]