ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects CS6 - syncing animation to music track

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james sandifer
After effects CS6 - syncing animation to music track
on Feb 24, 2017 at 5:39:35 pm

Hi there,

I'm working with After Effects CS6 on iMac late 2013 3.5 ghz I7 /32bg ram os 10.12.3

I have a dance track which I need to sync animations to but I'm encountering some very basic issues which I'm sure is something to do with my preferences or set up...

I've imported the track into the time line and hit LL to open the waveform but I have encountered to issues with the ram preview.

1. The waveform visualised is not syncing to the audio output properly - I can see an obvious peak in the audio which is the kick drum but when listening to it the kick drum on the track sounds like it is playing early.

2. I have currently got a small section of work area selected - roughly 2 seconds and the Ram preview can't play the audio for the entire 2 s section - it plays the first bit then cuts out.

Has anyone had similar issues?

The track is WAV file.

I really need the visual waveform to display accurately to sync up the animations.
And I need to be able to ram preview the audio and animations.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance kind community.

James

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After effects CS6 - syncing animation to music track
on Feb 24, 2017 at 6:06:12 pm

You didn't say anything about the way you're doing this visualization -- effects, expressions, etc.

And I know a lot of people think this trick of using AE as a visualizer is way cool and all that, but EVERYBODY is using the same look! What makes these things so compelling? I just don't get it. Why look like everyone else?

I guess it's like when everybody wanted their video to look like cartoons a few years back. Boy, that trick got beaten into the ground, worn out and trite in no time!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

james sandifer
on Feb 24, 2017 at 6:21:03 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm using a combination of illustrator files and after effects shape layers. Planning to do most of the syncing manually so really need an accurate waveform display and playback...

For example the beginning of the track that I'm working on is a simple ellipse shape layer that bounces inside a square (I know it's not the most amazing concept but it's early days on this one!!!)

Slight update - I'm beginning to think that the waveform visualiser is accurate but its just the playback isn't working properly - so I've tested the first 4 beats - I've animated it based on the visual waveform and ignored the playback - then after doing a test render it appears to be working in sync - so I guess this issue is something to do with ram preview settings? Any ideas???

I've done a lot of music / animation stuff before and lip sync... I've just had my hard drive replaced on my computer so had to re install all my software and I think I've lost all my old settings...

Thanks!!!!
J

Return to posts index

james sandifer
on Feb 24, 2017 at 6:24:00 pm

Hi Dave - by the way when I mention wave form visualiser - I'm simply referring to the waveform layer in the timeline which I've opened up by pressing LL - which I plan to use as a guide (not the audio spectrum visualiser effect)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 24, 2017 at 7:24:04 pm

Whew. Glad to hear that.

This may be a preview problem. Can you preview at the proper frame rate?

Also -- you may find AE's Convert Audio To Keyframes feature helpful. Trapcode's Soundkeys, too, if you have it.

If you go the all-Adobe way -- and you want the layers to react to certain frequencies only -- I recommend taking the audio file into Audition to EQ out the frequencies you don't want.

And as always, don't use compressed audio like mp3's in AE -- they still cause fits for it 20 years on. Convert compressed audio to wav or aiff files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

rob mcgowan
on Feb 25, 2017 at 12:12:08 am

Did you make any progress on this?

Have you tried keyframing your audio and using an expression to link to something opacity/size whatwever to give you visual feedback? That's a long shot I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]