ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Losing detail when zooming to original size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Holtwick
Losing detail when zooming to original size
on Feb 23, 2017 at 5:55:24 pm

Hey folks,
I just registered and I´ve been stumbling across your forum once a week since about two years now and this is the first time one of my questions hasn't already been answered.

So:
I just followed this tutorial:

It is great and all makes sense. I did this with some test footage of me pointing a gun at the cameras, then zooming in, zooming a bit more and then firing the gun.
It all works fine, but when I am zoomed in on one of the detail shots it just doesn´t have the quality of the original video. The source material is 1080p and so is the composition. I also tried rendering it out since I thought I had some RAM-saving options on but it was exactly the same quality. All blurry and strange.

I also replicated it several times with different work flows to eliminate error sources and I found out this:
The video quality is just fine. Only when I make the layer 3D and scale it down it loses a bunch of it's quality.
I could do it in 2D and parent the layers, maybe this would work, but since I have the project set up this way now and basically looking good (also I find it very intuitive with the camera) I'd like to find out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance!

Roman

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: Losing detail when zooming to original size
on Feb 23, 2017 at 8:28:05 pm

I don't think I quite grasp your setup, but... Any chance it's a depth-of-field/focus issue with the AE camera?

Return to posts index

Roman Holtwick
on Feb 23, 2017 at 11:12:47 pm

The setup is pretty well explained in the video, you can get an idea in the beginning and in the middle you can see the way it is composed.

But depth-of-field/focus is a great idea I could check, for this project it shouldn't even be active... Thanks for the hint!

Return to posts index

Roman Holtwick
on Feb 26, 2017 at 3:51:56 pm

Thx, Ken, this was the exact problem, I feel pretty stupid to have overlooked this simple thing now. 😃
I thought it was an issue with precomposing or something, wich might have scaled my comps down...

Is there a "solved"-button I gotta hit?

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
on Feb 26, 2017 at 5:07:53 pm

Well, if you're stupid, then so am I. I only knew to tell you to check that because I've done the same thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]