ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

So i am new to 2017 Ae and Fast blur is obsolete..what is its replacement?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Garabedain
So i am new to 2017 Ae and Fast blur is obsolete..what is its replacement?
on Feb 15, 2017 at 9:38:38 pm

Nothing seems to be as easy and as simple as fast blur among the blurring options...so i had to ask which one is supposed to be replacing it?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: So i am new to 2017 Ae and Fast blur is obsolete..what is its replacement?
on Feb 15, 2017 at 9:53:44 pm

i assume it's gaussian blur. they added the same 'direction' and 'repeat edge' settings that fast blur had.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 16, 2017 at 4:25:11 am

[Kevin Camp] "i assume it's gaussian blur. they added the same 'direction' and 'repeat edge' settings that fast blur had."

Also gaussian blur is an accelerated effect so it should be quicker to render than before.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Feb 16, 2017 at 3:35:27 pm

oh its acclerated good because it used to be much slower

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Feb 16, 2017 at 6:46:54 pm

Fast Blur is the same blur algorithm as Box Blur, with the Iterations parameter set to 3. Absolutely no difference. Same for the Gaussian Blur (Legacy) effect; the only difference between it and Fast Blur was the Repeat Edge Pixels parameter.

The new GPU-accelerated Gaussian Blur uses a different blur algorithm. The same one that Premiere Pro offers under the name "Gaussian Blur". The rendered results will look different compared to the Gaussian Blur (Legacy) effect.

So although Fast Blur and Gaussian Blur (Legacy) were moved to the obsolete folder, you can still use them but you can get the same results with the Box Blur filter with the Iterations parameter set to 3. We're investigating ways to make this more obvious, and "faster".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]