ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Move (dolly) camera inside 360 photo/video (Mettle SkyBox & Element3D)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitri Laptchinski
Move (dolly) camera inside 360 photo/video (Mettle SkyBox & Element3D)
on Jan 28, 2017 at 11:28:02 pm
Last Edited By Dmitri Laptchinski on Jan 30, 2017 at 3:27:45 am

Hello everyone!

I'm really wondering is there more simple way to change the point of view (dolly move the camera) inside of the equirectangular image/video

I have an 360 video. And I need to reframe it not by yaw/pitch/roll but I need to move point of view forward or backward. What for? Because my customer want to have more wide field of view in front side of 360 video (see the screenshot).

Before (see on flickr)

After (see on flickr)

So I used the video as a custom texture for environment model in the Element3D like Andrew Kramer did it here

Next I moved a camera a little backward and convert the result back to equirectangular with Mettle SkyBox.

But now I have distortion in nadir (you can see it in the edges of carpet). Maybe it is because of little amount of polygons in the model, but I do not know how to fix it. Furthermore I'm interested is there more simple way to do it.

Thank you a lot!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Move (dolly) camera inside 360 photo/video (Mettle SkyBox & Element3D)
on Jan 30, 2017 at 8:19:11 am

Maybe Chris Bobotis from Mettle can give you some pointers.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:00:03 pm

Thanks Tudor!

Dmitri, yes this is possible with SkyBox Studio for After Effects.
Although it is very easy to do, it is too difficult for me to explain via text. Also I am in Germany right now giving talks and workshops.

I am back at my desk this coming Thursday Feb. 2nd. I have time early in the morning (Eastern Standard Time). Please reach out to me directly at chris (at) mettle.com and we can go over this via Skype together when I am back at my desk.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Dmitri Laptchinski
on Feb 26, 2017 at 2:46:04 am

Hello, Chris!

I wrote to you but still doesn't received an answer.

Maybe you can explain via text how to do it if it is not very complicated?

Thank you a lot!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 1, 2017 at 10:01:36 pm

There is no easy way to accurately transform the perspective projection. The 360 photo/video's content does not include any depth information; only directional information (i.e. latitude/longitude only). If the image is projected onto an infinite sphere (which is the standard) then translating the camera has no effect on the image. If it's instead projected onto a sphere with some defined radius then translating the camera distorts the projection and gives you incorrect perspective.

If you want a larger field of view then you need to increase the camera's FOV (decrease the zoom).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]