ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Moving Graphic Jumping in 4K... Wrong settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Williams
Moving Graphic Jumping in 4K... Wrong settings?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 9:12:46 pm

I have a rotating circle moving across the screen from left to right. This is on a 4k background, which I then export as Lossless + Alpha. But when I pull this into a Premier Pro project and watch on a 4K TV, the circle doesn't move smoothly, but jumps occasionally in a random fashion.

I have set key frame interpolation to linea for the movement, for which I have key frames for one cycle and then an expression to cycle, so it repeats.

It appears the circle's movement is stable if I export without alpha. Also Jumps if I put it over another composition.

I have tried frame rates of 25, 30, 50 and 60. (matching when I go into PP. )

I was originally running CS6, have just downloaded latest versions of AE & PP CC, but no improvement. I have tried rendering both from within the program and also Media Encoder (which seems to take twice as long?)

I'm running a Mac 3.2g Intel Core 5i with 32g Ram a 3tb Fusion Hard drive + 500m SSD

Also, always looks fine when viewed on my Mac, but when I view on the TV (either connected to the Mac or running off USB, it jumps. Generally the rest of the image looks OK.

Any ideas? I'm tearing my hair out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Moving Graphic Jumping in 4K... Wrong settings?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 9:34:24 pm

What's the frame rate of the PP timeline?
What happens when you render out an alpha channel quicktime move & import into PP?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Williams
on Jan 29, 2017 at 8:56:44 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

The frame rate in PP always matched the frame rate that the circle was rendered in. (I read that was best practice?)

I tried your suggest and rendered out the circle in Alpha only, imported into PP and it runs as sweet as a nut, no jumps. Does this point towards a solution or a cause of my problem?

Many thanks,

Tim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2017 at 1:48:23 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 30, 2017 at 4:45:19 am

[Tim Williams] " Does this point towards a solution or a cause of my problem?"

Yeah, your machine has problems playing back 4K video.
It has about three times as many pixels to deal with as HD. It's typically in a processor-intensive codec. This stuff isn't just a bigger picture, you need additional hardware to make it run right.
A heads-up: laptops aren't a good choice for trouble-free work in 4K.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]