ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Losing roto brush detail with soft matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Novak
Losing roto brush detail with soft matte
on Jan 27, 2017 at 7:05:53 pm

Hey, I'm new to After Effects and am removing white backgrounds from some videos, and I'm running into an issue. I've tried a couple of techniques, usually I can use extract to get close, with a soft matte to clean up the edges, and sometimes using a duplicated layer and mask when some details like teeth are lost.

I have one video that's being extra difficult so I roto brushed it. However when I started to refine the edges but because of the hair line it's difficult, and I'm seeing some weirdness with it looking like things are flickering/wavy. So I applied a soft matte like before (turning off refine edges in roto brush), and that does a pretty good job, however some of the spots under the persons arms that open up as they move around and it loses what I've rotoed out.

I tried duplicating the layer and adding a mask for just that part of the body but have issues with needing refine edges for the roto, not for the soft matte and apply double-effects. I could try manually erasing those parts of the matte, but also looks a bit off. Played around with the radius and that helps, but matte isn't good around the hair then.

Any suggestions on a simple fix for this - need a setting like soft matte please respect holes cut into the main foreground and don't fill them back in ☺

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Losing roto brush detail with soft matte
on Jan 27, 2017 at 9:06:47 pm

I hate to say it, but that's why God made green screens and chroma keyers.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jan 27, 2017 at 11:01:28 pm

have you made sure you exhausted the refine edge tool capability from within the Rotobrush feature? it is quite remarkable if handled carefully. refine soft matte is quite the same but with the refine edge tool you can carefully brush and use corrective strokes instead of globally working around all edges. this makes refine soft matte a useful tool if you are dealing with a matte but are not using rotobrush.

edges trouble will be harder to fix if the footage is compressed so we need to see exactly what you are dealing with.

if you want, you can provide a sample of your footage in high quality and we can have a crack at it.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jason Novak
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:40:08 am

I have used them on a woman's hair before and it worked very well, but this one is proving difficult because of the lighting/reflection/etc that it will take some very fine adjustment because it keeps on picked up the wrong colors and needs lots of corrections. Because the soft matte basically takes care of all that it would save me a ton of time and honestly probably come out looking more uniform, if it wasn't for it opening up the holes under the arms at times when it gets confused. The video itself is 1080p, but the final video will be about 1/3 that so it will hide a lot of little things. Just want a little bit of detail on the edges instead of a hard matte.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]