ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha AE Failed to allocate memory buffer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gardner Raymond
Mocha AE Failed to allocate memory buffer
on Jan 24, 2017 at 5:48:18 pm

I’ve been having this issue for a little while now, I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s causing it…

I’m simply trying to track my footage (mp4) from AE in Mocha:

Animation>track in MochaAE

Mocha opens, I get the usual dialogue box, I click OK

After I click OK, I get the error message “Failed to allocate memory buffer. Please free up system memory by closing other applications.”

I’ve purged my memory & disk cache in AE. I’ve tried closing all other apps except AE. I’m updated with the latest CC apps (AE 14.0.0.207, others were updated at the same time).
And still, this issue persists.

System specs are: iMac Retina 5k, late 2015 model
OS 10.12.3
32G memory
3.2GHz Intel Core i5

I have 20G of ram shared between my Adobe apps, but I only have AE and PPro open. 12Gb left for other apps
Activity Monitor says I’m currently using 15.85 Gb of App Memory, 2.56 Wired, and 7.82Gb cached files.
Specifically it says that the biggest memory usage currently is 7.21G from AE. Next highest is kernel_task at 1.9, and PPro at 630Mb.

Any help or direction would be incredible – I’m getting to the end of my rope!
Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mocha AE Failed to allocate memory buffer
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:08:39 pm

Mocha does NOT play nicely with mp4 video.... or ANY highly-compressed video, for that matter. And mp4 can have the bejeezus compressed out of it.

You should transcode the footage into a lossless or near-lossless codec for this. I like QT movies in JPEG 2000, PNG or Photo JPEG codecs. Even better: ProRes 422 if you have it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gardner Raymond
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:27:07 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the feedback. That's odd, because I know I've imported other mp4 files this way on different machines.
I just did a little test, and this is what worked and what didn't:

-exported my clip to ProRes 422 and imported to MochaAe - no problem
-Tried other mp4 files that were shot with the same camera (Sony a7S, 24p, 50mbps) - error - unsupported format (though like i said, I know i've used clips from this camera in the past)
-Tried other mp4 files shot with a different camera (Canon C100) - opened & cached no problem.
-Tired other .mov files shot with a Canon 5D - opened & cached w no problem.

I find it odd that some flavors of mp4 work and others don't. I'll also have to run these same tests on my home system (I'm at the office now) where - as I said - I'm pretty sure I haven't run into any issues.

Anyhow, thanks again. Annoying workaround for the time being, but at least it's only a few shots w this project. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:35:50 pm

MP4 and MP3 -- even though it's audio -- are crap shoots to use in AE & Mocha for the same reasons. They're compressed, and they intermittently don't work.

You wouldn't understand why one mp3 is okay in AE but one isn't. And NO mp3 renders out audio reliably. The fix is simple -- don't use mp3's. I would say something a little different about mp4's, but just as cautious: at the first hint of trouble, transcode; spare yourself the grief.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gardner Raymond
on Jan 24, 2017 at 6:43:30 pm

Good advice it looks like. I'll add it to the list!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]