ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stretching objects only on x-axis without effecting y?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Etienne
Stretching objects only on x-axis without effecting y?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:26:34 pm

Hi guys,

I am trying to animate x-axis only on a map or square, and cannot figure out how too.
Is there an easy way by using expressions?

See below as example of what effect I would like to achieve:

I also would like to know how to create the squash and stretch effect on a square in 00:17 in this link: https://vimeo.com/93206523 which i am guessing is the same i am after on the map.
I have tried it manually, but I have some difficulty getting the square extruded and back into its position with different anchor points.

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
Re: Stretching objects only on x-axis without effecting y?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:04:22 pm

I'm not really sure what you want to achieve but you can unlink X-Y scales (uncheck the constrain proportions box just left of the scale values) or link them to sliders (under expression controls effects). With sliders your X and Y scale key's will be separate so it'll be easier to animate.

Also there is Transform effect under Distort, uncheck Uniform Scale and you get separate scale values and also skew option..

For sliders put 2 slider effects for X and Y and use the expression on layers scale property:

X = effect("Slider X")("Slider");
Y = effect("Slider Y")("Slider");
[X, Y]

Return to posts index

Emily Etienne
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:32:23 pm

Thank you I did try the slider expression as you mentioned before, but i have some error with it. It says disabled, first line is incorrect effect Slider X is missing.

Maybe I am not using the pickwick correctly. I am linking it to 1x Null object with both sliders X, Y on them.

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Jan 23, 2017 at 5:46:37 pm

You don't need to apply the slider effect to a different layer.
but if you do, you have to show the target layer first. Also i did change the slider names, sorry for the mislead..

here's the expression with the null objects and default slider names:

X = thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
Y = thisComp.layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control 2")("Slider");
[X, Y]

You need to change the name of the target Null if you have more than one in your composition..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]