ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Complex scene cleanup, need advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Constantin Kormann
Complex scene cleanup, need advice
on Jan 21, 2017 at 1:55:49 am

I'm recently working on some footage we shot in estonia last year.
The Lighting guys kind of messed up and I have a lot of cables to remove.
In a lot of the scenes I can work with A) simply freezing parts of the image, tracking them and then rotoscoping or B) Clonestamps thousands of them.

But A) Is tedious and looks ridiculous when closer up/in focus and B) is even more tedious, but even starts flickering since I can't repair the frames all the same way.

This one scene really kills me right now, I have no idea how to get rid of the cable.

Can you guys provide me with ways i could tackle this? Or tackle complex repairs in general?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Complex scene cleanup, need advice
on Jan 21, 2017 at 2:25:10 am

I have looked at that clip five times and I don't even SEE any cables. There are too many other things in that shot to even notice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 21, 2017 at 9:00:00 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I have looked at that clip five times and I don't even SEE any cables."

Lower left of the door going next to the stairs. That said I had a hard time seeing them too.

You'll need:

-A really good removal artist

or

-Mocha Pro that has the remove module in it and a bunch of clean plates from different points of the clip

Return to posts index

Mohammed Anis
on Jan 21, 2017 at 5:00:25 am

Hi Constantin,

I have given this scene good repitition of replays and the fact that I'm still unsure if I"m seeing the cable you're talking about or that the cable might be some long range TV extension for the house owner in the story should indicate that this detail can be overlooked.

You obviously know what happens after this snippet, so its upto you. However, some perfections are worth overlooking.

Might I ask if you're using Mohca to do the tracking job?

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:35:46 am

Hi Constantin.
I would take a "best resolution" 1 frame (PNG) from pretty much the middle of the clip (where the cable is seen at its glory ☺
take it to photoshop - > clean/clear the cable there (stamp tool) .

Go back to AE to the same frame you exported -> import the cleanup PSD from photoshop put the clean layer ontop of your shot.

I would use Mocha for AE to track the cable, paste the tracking information (transform data with prespective) to a null and from that good clean frame you have, parent the clean layer to that null.

The handrail probably will need to be copied ontop of everything and masked so it would "cover" the cleanup.

I did a 5 minute mockup to illustrate what im talking about, with 10 more minutes it will look much better 😉 but you can understand from seeing the mockup. it's really not perfect and could use a bit of manual positioning toward the end, but hey! no cable

Hope it helps!
clenaup in photoshop and tracking back...

cheers Adam

Return to posts index

Constantin Kormann
on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:54:21 am

Thank you Adam! I completely forgot about Mocha, it seems like a much better solution than attempting a manual track with the integrated plugin.
Im gonna give that a shot.

To answer the other comments: The film takes place in a 1920s Finnland, so any cables really stick out.

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:57:57 am

So yes I believe Mocha + clean plate + a bit of manual adjustments will give you an unnoticeable solution!

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Constantin Kormann
on Jan 22, 2017 at 5:10:33 pm

This took me way too long, I really need to practice this more.

I'm still not 100% satisfied but I need to turn this in.

Thanks for the help everyone, here is the result:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]