ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to decrease brightness of only brightest parts of your video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guillaume Jaecques
How to decrease brightness of only brightest parts of your video
on Jan 19, 2017 at 6:30:06 am

I've got a video with women driving on a bike in a white blouse. My problem is that the white of the blouse is a little bit too bright, while all other colors are good . I tried to fix it with brightness and contrast and exposure, but somehow can't just adjust it without adjusting everything. I've been looking into the levels and curves effect to, but somehow it gives me the same result. I've got this feeling that if I'm going to need to work with a mask, but I just know there must be another way. Anybody any tips?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: How to decrease brightness of only brightest parts of your video
on Jan 19, 2017 at 2:43:43 pm

Without seeing your footage or knowing how it was recorded, I would guess that the white blouse is completely overexposed.

You may want to try using shadow-highlights filter. However, it is likely that the camera exposed for the rest of the scene and the the detail in the blouse was so bright that it was beyond the upper range of the imaging sensor and cannot be recovered. That being said, there are some techniques involving multiplying and masking the image that can sometimes recover highlight data. They are complex and time-consuming - might be easier to re-shoot the footage.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2017 at 6:32:46 pm

I'm with Jim: show us the shot.

If it's overexposed, there won't be any detail in that part of the shot no matter what you do. It will look like subject's wearing a funny, not-quite-white piece of plastic.

That's the worst case. To know if a re-shoot is necessary, we'd have to see the shot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 19, 2017 at 6:45:36 pm

You could duplicate your footage, use the Extract effect to isolate your hotspot, and then use that layer as a track matte to to target your over-exposed footage. Like others have said though, if it's too over-exposed there is little you can do.

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jaecques
on Jan 19, 2017 at 9:36:39 pm

Here's the footage, I've made 2 gifs showing them. One's on the bike, the other is when she's dancing on the grass. With the grass shot I'd actually like to grass highlights be less bright to, but my problem is I don't want to give it a greyish tint.

http://giphy.com/gifs/26xBRH4T1DqJeDa3m

http://giphy.com/gifs/l3q2DbgwFAzYwdKPm

If you want I can send you the files to.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2017 at 11:17:05 pm

You can probably salvage the aerial shot -- there isn't much detail in the subject's blouse anyway.

But the dancing shot? The only image detail appears in the blouse when it's in shadow. The sky is overexposed, too. There isn't a good way to distinguish between the sky and the blouse. If you can shoot it again with proper exposure, I think you would be MUCH happier.

In English, there's a saying that is appropriate for the dancing shot: "You can't polish a turd."

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Jan 20, 2017 at 4:42:33 am

I would tend to agree with Dave. Using the eyedropper tool in the dancing shot, all the values are 255 - there is almost no variation anywhere on the blouse (or the sky.) So there is no detail there at all.

Mostly the same with the aerial shot, but the subject is small enough that you might be able to get it to an acceptable level. Attached is a quick pass at one frame of the aerial shot that I tweaked in Photoshop using shadow/highlights and the raw filter. It still need more work, but you can get an idea of what is possible.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]