ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Morphing letters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Modijefsky
Morphing letters
on Jan 16, 2017 at 4:19:02 pm
Last Edited By David Modijefsky on Jan 16, 2017 at 5:05:57 pm

Hi there, I'm a bit rusty with AE. I'm trying to morph 2 sets of 3 words but some of them don't have the same amount of masks. For instance, I have to morph an ‘O’ into a ‘L’ which means I have to get rid of the 2nd mask. What's the best approach to solve this? By the way, I'm on CC17. TIA.

-------------------------
what will this button do?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Morphing letters
on Jan 16, 2017 at 7:44:44 pm

[David Modijefsky] "For instance, I have to morph an ‘O’ into a ‘L’ which means I have to get rid of the 2nd mask."

There's a visual question here: what exactly do you want that transition to look like? You'll need a way to work that second mask into the O -- maybe either by shrinking it or by overlapping it with the first mask -- to get a smooth and organic morph.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Modijefsky
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:04:02 pm

Tanks Walter. I was already testing with overlapping masks but I'm also faced with a intersecting mask. That means 1 mask - after morphing - falls partially outside the new letter. So, I have to obscure that one with 2 maks. It's a challenge to get that right. I'm working with shape layers as these should give little more options than plain masks I thought.

Return to posts index

Emre Anil
on Jan 17, 2017 at 10:31:23 am

Why not make the "O" letter like a round string (like a "C" with closed end points) and transform it to a "L"?

Return to posts index

David Modijefsky
on Jan 17, 2017 at 10:46:45 am

Thanks Emre. I got it sorted. I ended up with using masks as I could lock those to work on overlapping ones (couldn't find a way to lock paths in shape layers). I worked with extra obscuring masks to overcome the problem with letters having more or less paths than the new letters. Playing with the vertex points also helped. For the purpose it works but I agree that when using morphing the requirements are pretty strict to get a good morph.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]