ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus HellmenConvert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 8, 2017 at 7:31:07 pm

I have dialogue from Audition for 3 animated characters in separate .wav files. After I've imported the audio tracks and selected convert audio to keyframes I do get a null object with a slider containing the key frames but for all my dialogue. It doesn't seem to matter what I have selected in the timeline. The idea is to get separate keyframes for each dialogue.

My solution was to create a separate comp with one audio track, build the keyframe track and then copy/paste it into the comp where the animating takes place. It takes a long time and seems a bad way to get it done.

What would be a better solution?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 8, 2017 at 7:58:29 pm

Use Convert Audio to Keyframes on EACH audio layer. You can then copy-paste them to any layer you want.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Magnus HellmenRe: Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 10, 2017 at 4:29:31 pm

Thanks for replying. If I convert to keyframes on each audio track then I have 2 Audio Amplitude tracks with the exact same keyframe information. Are you saying to then delete the keyframes that aren't applicable to that dialogue? I connect these keyframes to the opacity of the character mouth layer and both characters would talk identically otherwise.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 10, 2017 at 5:18:31 pm

[Magnus Hellmen] "Are you saying to then delete the keyframes that aren't applicable to that dialogue? I connect these keyframes to the opacity of the character mouth layer and both characters would talk identically otherwise."

Those were instructions for ALL the audio tracks. If you just need the dialogue, then do just the dialogue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Magnus HellmenRe: Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 13, 2017 at 5:59:40 pm

Thanks, here's what I don't understand. I created a comp and imported two audio clips. I placed them in the comp as you can see.

I then selected track1.wav and chose convert audio to keyframes.

The resulting keyframes cover both audio clips. If I had a 10 minute comp with 100 audio clips I would get an unworkable amount of keyframes after I run this operation.

Is this a feature of AE or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2017 at 6:29:40 pm

Wait a minute -- what application IS that?
Your grab doesn't look a single, solitary thing like audio clips in an AE timeline! What on Earth are you using?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2017 at 8:12:58 pm

It's AE CC 2017. All I did was expand the waveforms and screen capture that part of the timeline. If you expand the graph editor and select both audio tracks and the track with keyframes you can see the wave forms under the keyframe graph.

Interestingly, I can also choose convert audio to keyframes without having any track selected, and that gives me the exact same result. I don't seem to be able to specify which waveform I want to target.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Convert audio to keyframes uses all audio in the comp instead of only one audio track.
by on Jan 14, 2017 at 1:51:20 pm

How do I go about making keyframes for only one specific .wav in a comp?
disable the audio switch for the layers you don't want to get included

Convert Audio To Keyframes Analyzes amplitude within the composition work area and creates keyframes to represent the audio. interestingly, it is not layer related, but will represent all the audio sources in your composition. you can have no layer selected and choose Animation->Keyframe assistant->convert audio to keyframes and it will include all active audio layers. so if you don't want a layer to get included, simply switch it's audio switch off.

more about it:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/assorted-animation-tools.html#c...

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2017 at 2:06:49 pm

Nice one, I figured it must be something like that! My solution was to place each audio clip in its own comp first.

Another interesting thing I noticed.
- I make a pre-comp containing my audio file and the key frame layer I've created.
- I then reference the key frame slider in a solid located in the parent comp, ie on the "outside" if you will.

If I now move this audio/keyframe comp on the parent comp timeline then only the audio part moves in time. They keyframes stay. So if for example I'm animating a mouth but I don't like the timing so I move the audio/keyframe comp forward on the time line, only the audio moves. So I now have a mouth blinking way ahead of the sound.

If I create the exact same setup except, the mouth solid is located inside the same comp as the keyframe layer and audio, I can move this entire package on the parent comp timeline and the mouth graphic + audio will move in time together and remain in sync.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]