ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering beyond 8K

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrett van den BerghRendering beyond 8K
by on Jan 7, 2017 at 6:18:17 pm

Hi!

I'm working on a job that requires me to render something at 24000x13000 to be rendered on a large hyper wall. I know I can render this resolution from 3D programs like Maya or Blender, but I'm wondering if this is possible to do in After Effects and what kind of codecs / output types would best support such a huge resolution size?

Thanks,
Jarrett

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Rendering beyond 8K
by on Jan 7, 2017 at 8:08:58 pm

That large hyper wall probably has a dedicated hardware player that has certain specifications for playback formats. It probably isn't one huge file and is most likely a bunch of smaller videos that create the whole picture.

Get the specs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering beyond 8K
by on Jan 8, 2017 at 4:42:37 pm

I agree: get the specs! If you already have, please share them with us. I fear a problem in creating a file for delivery. An important part is knowing the dimensions viewers will see. An equally-important part is knowing how it will be played back. This is something you don't seem to know yet.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mahmoud JaberRe: Rendering beyond 8K
by on Jan 8, 2017 at 7:06:49 am

Although i wouldn't recommend this workflow for a hyper wall, you can "depending on your machine specs".
After Effects maximum layer size buffer is 30000 x 30000, this sounds good but at 24000x13000 resolution and 25 fps & 8bpc workflow, each frame size is gonna be 1.2 GB. (each frame will be cached in the RAM during rendering).
by doing the math you need minimum of 32 GB to render one second of the video. but After that AE will soon crash and stop rendering because you don't have enough memory buffer OR disk cache.
to solve this you can turn on the secret option in the preferences by holding shift + Edit > Preferences > General, the default value for "Purge every # frames during make movie" is zero, you need to change it according to your preferences and RAM. I would recommend a value between 5 - 10 in your case.

Mahmoud Jaber
Visual Effects & Motion Graphics Artist
Adobe After Effects Certified Expert

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering beyond 8K
by on Jan 9, 2017 at 2:27:11 pm

[Mahmoud Jaber] "by doing the math you need minimum of 32 GB to render one second of the video. but After that AE will soon crash and stop rendering because you don't have enough memory buffer OR disk cache...
to solve this you can turn on the secret option in the preferences by holding shift + Edit > Preferences > General, the default value for "Purge every # frames during make movie" is zero, you need to change it according to your preferences and RAM. I would recommend a value between 5 - 10 in your case."

In nearly all cases, Ae will correctly manage its own cache. I don't recommend adjusting the Secret preferences unless you are actually having a problem rendering, because changing those values can actually slow down your renders significantly.

That said, this kind of job does call for a machine with a lot of RAM. My studio does a lot of large format work, and Ae easily uses all available RAM in our 96 GB machines.

I agree with the other posters that you need to get the delivery specs. I'd also recommend you consider rendering to an image sequence, then preparing your deliverables from that. You will obviously need lots of disk space, and fast disks.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]