ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary O'BrienKeylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 6, 2017 at 8:43:20 pm

Hi,

After many years and various versions of AFX, Keylight no longer works for me. As soon as I tweak a few settings, AFX crashes the whole application. No error report, just "Adobe After Effects has stopped working"

I have hunted around for advice on this, and can confirm that I convert my DSLR footage into a lossless codec first, and that I use Outside Masks within the plugin as garbage mattes, not on the footage itself.

Sometimes I think I may have gotten away with it working, but moments later it will crash. If I can get a good looking result in just a few clicks, RAM previewing will cause a crash anyway. Also, if I try to bypass a crash during RAM preview by just exporting it straight from the render queue, that will crash it too. The only way I have successfully exported keyed clips is via Media Encoder. This isn't an acceptable work around though, as I can't really tweak my key properly, or work on other elements in a comp without it crashing.

I also have up-to-date graphics drivers and Adobe apps, and I even reinstalled just the Keylight Plugin from the Foundrys website. No change.

Specs:

WIndows 10 64Bit
Nvidia GTX 960
AFX 2017.0 Release v 14.0.1.5
8 GB Ram (I thought this may be the cause as it's pretty low, however pulling up a memory usage graph during a crash shows no strain on the memory)

I hope someone can help as I've just landed a greenscreen job...

Return to posts index

Daniel BredenhandRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 10, 2017 at 9:41:23 am

Hi Gary,

Ive also started working on a green-screen project and have been experiencing exactly the same constantly recurring problem with After Effects. Ive tried setting the program back to default settinsg as instructed by some thread that i read online, but to no avail. A fix is no where to be found and my frustrations are hitting the roof.

Maybe there's another way around it, I don't know.

Hope we can find a solution to this problem asap.

My specs:
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX 1060
16GB RAM(optimal requirement)
i5 3.5GHz

Return to posts index

Daniel BredenhandRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 10, 2017 at 9:43:44 am

Hi Gary,

Ive also started working on a green-screen project and have been experiencing exactly the same constantly recurring problem with After Effects. Ive tried setting the program back to default settinsg as instructed by some thread that i read online, but to no avail. A fix is no where to be found and my frustrations are hitting the roof.

Maybe there's another way around it, I don't know.

Hope we can find a solution to this problem asap.

My specs:
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX 1060
16GB RAM(optimal requirement)
i5 3.5GHz

Return to posts index

Gary O'BrienRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 10, 2017 at 10:58:37 am

Yeah, it's a complete pain. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this.

A while ago I even rolled back to a previous version of AFX that used to be fine, but the problem wasn't fixed. As such I moved back to the latest version.

Nursing it along a bit, I get the best results when I follow these steps:

convert the footage to a lossless avi

Precompose the footage

Apply any masks to the precomp and set them to "none"

Apply keylight to the precomp and use the outside mask, checking the "invert" box

Minimise scrubbing the plugin values in favour of typing them in.

Crossing my fingers....

Pretty ridiculous set of circumstances, and the fact that the problem seems so rare makes me doubtful they'll be a fix handed down anytime soon, or ever.

Also, I tried submitting a crash report, but as AFX doesn't give you an error other than "has stopped working" I didn't get very far with it.

If you find a proper solution, please let me know!

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Max FernándezRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 11, 2017 at 2:58:05 pm

Same problem over here and I have 12GB DDR3. I've been using keylight without a prob in the AFX 2017.
Please if anyone finds a solution it will be extremely appreciated!!

Max

Return to posts index

Max FernándezRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 11, 2017 at 8:10:34 pm

Hey, I think I've found a solution. It might seem to simple, but I ran the program as an Admin and it's working so far!

Return to posts index

Gary O'BrienRe: Keylight 1.2 crashes AFX CC 2017
by on Jan 12, 2017 at 6:08:04 pm

Ahh - that sounds promising. I'll give it a try myself over the weekend and see if I see any improvements here!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]