ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rimmed skyline, subject directional blur effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Inglis
Rimmed skyline, subject directional blur effect
on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:29:26 am

Dear all,

I am trying to recreate this effect in After Effects. How do i create a rimmed skyline (i presume that is what the have done here). How did they create this blur? It doesn't look like a simple gaussian blur, and the windows on the house move in a peculiar way -- and the building feels almost isolated.

Here is the video, and i have attached a slower frame by frame as well is it is useful:

10920_blurrybuildingeffect.mp4.zip

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Best Wishes,

O

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Rimmed skyline, subject directional blur effect
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:24:00 am

The colored fringing on the edges is called chromatic aberration [link]. There are a number of different techniques and plugins that will accomplish this. Here's one:
http://qubahq.com/2014/03/chromatic-aberration-rig/

The uneven blurring almost looks like a bad film transfer. You can vary the amount of blur across the frame with Ae's Compound Blur effect [link].

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: Rimmed skyline, subject directional blur effect
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:40:02 am

Hi, my suspicion is that this is just badly shot footage - swimming into focus with with sharpening set on the cam. To recreate perhaps mask the building, copy and precompose it. In the precomp add a rust colored solid and use the building as an alpha matte, feathering it to get the bloom edge. In your original comp add a base layer of the footage, so in order it's masked layer/precomp/footage. Then add an Adjustment Layer and to it add the Camera Lens Blur effect and keyframe it. Might get you somewhere near it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]