ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Realistic (ie: bad) Bokeh effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BarkerRealistic (ie: bad) Bokeh effect?
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 11:45:04 pm

I've always wondered this, but of course, all the standard plugins out there: Particular, Lens Blur, Camera Lens Blur automatically have perfectly clean bokeh when they blur. This is often preferable, but sometimes I like the noise and complexity of less-than-perfect bokeh. You probably know what I'm talking about, it adds some sort of organic noise, usually has a slight highlight around the rim of blurred regions and circles, things like that. I'm just curious whether there are any 3rd party plugins that allow you to create slightly poor or "interesting" bokeh blur effects?

Television Producer
KTVF-11 Fairbanks, Alaska
video.ericbarker.com

Return to posts index

Howard MatthewsRe: Realistic (ie: bad) Bokeh effect?
by on Jan 2, 2017 at 5:12:53 am

Crikey, I've just posted an almost identical request. D'oh.

Can't answer your question, but one thing you asked is already provided by the native AE effects; if you whack up the Hilight Diffraction parameter, it puts a brighter edge on the bokeh circles.

If its available to you, I understand Mental Ray lets you provide a bokeh bitmap it then maps to the CoC to do exactly what you describe, but that doesn't help us in AE. I'll report back if I come up with any answers...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Realistic (ie: bad) Bokeh effect?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:57:44 am

I might try 3 identical blurred layers,, with Shift Channels applied to each, eac set to red, blue, or green, then apply the Add blend mode and then move the position of each layer a couple-three pixels in some dimension.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Howard MatthewsRe: Realistic (ie: bad) Bokeh effect?
by on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:14:10 pm

In case you don't see it, Walter Soyka replied in the other thread:

"Frischluft's "FL Out of Focus" effect (part of Lenscare) allows you to use a custom iris shape.

http://frischluft.com/lenscare/index.php
"

... just tested the demo, and it does exactly what you'd think. Bit expensive ($199) but you'll know if you need it

h

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]