ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recreating Diffused and Glowing 70's colour effect and style

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie Inglis
Recreating Diffused and Glowing 70's colour effect and style
on Dec 30, 2016 at 6:28:17 pm

Hey Guys,

I am trying to recreate a colour grade from the Lil Yachty 'All in' music video. The grade looks similar to a 70's diffused colour look. Here is the music video:

. The grade can be seen very small at the begging, but it is used throughout the video. Here is an image of the effect:

Any advice on accurately achieving this effect would be really appreciated. How do they achieve the diffusion, glow, colours, blur and 70's feel to the image. I am currently shooting on a C100 Mark ii with a Tiffen Black Pro Mist 2, shooting on Wide DR mode. Here is an example of some of the ungraded footage with the Pro mist filter:

Any advice on how to achieve this would be really appreciated. Any advice to carry into the shooting stage before grade would also be really useful.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Best Wishes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Recreating Diffused and Glowing 70's colour effect and style
on Dec 30, 2016 at 9:07:03 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 30, 2016 at 9:07:56 pm

There's an old, tried-and-true trick called "Instant Sex" that may do the trick for you. It's been around for ages.

Duplicate the video layer. Blur the upper layer and apply one of the blend modes like screen, overlay,or soft light. Play with the upper layer's opacity, various blend modes and amount of blur.

You can check it out on existing footage to see it will do the trick for you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ollie Inglis
on Dec 30, 2016 at 10:14:57 pm

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have done what you have mentioned, however it still doesn't look quite as intense as the original. The original has more of a glowing quality, and it seems almost blurry in places. Do you have any other ideas about how to refine further? On a side not, whenever i try to increase saturation, i lose the haze effect which the Promist 2 creates - anyway to combat this?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:46:34 am

I bet you just haven't done enough tweaking with Instant Sex. You're looking for a plugin or an easy fix, right?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]