ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Zoom through transparent text to video layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin CampbellZoom through transparent text to video layer
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 5:54:32 pm

I'm looking for a tutorial or even just a general idea of how I could achieve something like this using my own text and video.

http://v9.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=357h6l5&s=9

I'm assuming I need to keyframe the scale size of the text, however, I've tried doing such and the text jumps around a bit near the end and requires the X and Y position to move as well. Is it possible to track the text in the sample video and use that as a preset for my own text/video?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Zoom through transparent text to video layer
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 6:53:55 pm

when doing a scale transition like this, it's helpful to use a null that has the scale animation, and then parent the other layer (in the case text) to the null. this allows more flexibility in positioning the text separate from the scale animation.

what i'd do is add a null to the comp (layer>new>null object). leave the null in the center of the comp, and do a quick scale animation -- like 100% to 1000% over a few seconds (you can adjust the animation later).

the create the text and parent it to the null at the beginning of the animation (where the null is 100%).

the text should now scale up with the null. make any adjustments to the scale animation (if it needs to get larger/smaller or change the timing, etc)

now, as the text is scaling up, if you need it to fly into a letter, you have two options. if it's already pretty close to landing where it needs to, you might be able to simple nudge the text to get it where it needs to be, but have the text still look centered at the beginning of the animation. if it's not close enough to make it seemed centered at the beginning of the animation, you can animation he position of the text so that it slowly slides from it's centered position at the beginning of the animation, to a position that it needs to be in at the end of the animation.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Zoom through transparent text to video layer
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 7:16:20 pm

[Dustin Campbell] "I'm assuming I need to keyframe the scale size of the text"

I would advise against that. you are not trying to scale the layer but to hover through it. you should make it a 3D layer and use the Z position. it will move much more realistically and you will find that controlling it is much easier because you can control the whole movement in a single parameter instead of two. tracking the text is an overkill. this is a simple movement you can easily reconstruct yourself

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Zoom through transparent text to video layer
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 7:17:05 pm

-- also - in case relevant / helpful ....

After having scaled text then use text as a track matte for fill ( video footage / whatever ) - if you want the colour changes as per clip as well just add a layer between the first colour and the video layer and mix it on and off as required.

If you are looking for general 'how to use AE' tutorials as well - highly recommend Andrew Devis on Creative Cow - and Andrew Kramer on Video Copilot.

------------------------------------------------------ chris ----

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]