ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cropping a heavily animated comp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Winthrop
Cropping a heavily animated comp.
on Dec 29, 2016 at 4:36:34 pm

I make animations with several layers contacting keyframed/expressioned scale/position/rotation etc. This creates an issue when I want to crop in on part of the window.

My current method is to make a null object, parent everything to it (or if some things are already parented, parent the lowest of them) and change its position/scale as needed. So far this has been working perfectly well but I am wondering if there is another less crude method for this, I have no knowledge of the unified camera tool, is that where I should look or is it more for 3d?

PS: Putting the entire comp in a new comp and making the crops there is not desirable, I already have many comps within comps so doing this is very processor intensive and results in a loss of resolution (my original footage is 4k, I Shrink it to 1920*1080 to animate, so cropping in on the 1920 comp loses the 4k).

Any tips/input is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Cropping a heavily animated comp.
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:13:12 pm

[John Winthrop] "My current method is to make a null object, parent everything to it (or if some things are already parented, parent the lowest of them) and change its position/scale as needed. So far this has been working perfectly well but I am wondering if there is another less crude method for this, I have no knowledge of the unified camera tool, is that where I should look or is it more for 3d?"

Doing this with 3D layers (even if they're mostly for 2D moves) will let you use a camera for more intuitive control.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]