ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How is movement done in a shot in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sahil ZafarHow is movement done in a shot in after effects
by on Dec 28, 2016 at 10:31:23 pm
Last Edited By Sahil Zafar on Dec 28, 2016 at 10:42:37 pm

I have seen many videos where the camera quickly shifts from one place in the shot to another (in the same shot) with motion blur added, like in this video several times (https://vimeo.com/108018156 especially 1.15.-1.18). This can also be used in a transition as it is done here (https://vimeo.com/108018156 0.43-0.46 good example). How is this done in after effects?

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: How is movement done in a shot in after effects
by on Dec 28, 2016 at 11:54:08 pm

Hi Sahil, the links didn't work for me but it sounds like you mean a whip or swish pan. This is a very simple way to do it though there are more advanced tutorials around as well:

Return to posts index

Sahil ZafarRe: How is movement done in a shot in after effects
by on Dec 29, 2016 at 8:57:48 am

Yeah! That's what I was look it for. But can this be used in the same shot by duplicating the video layer and zooming in? (https://youtu.be/fhFqEDZ2kB4) the video is called "Watchtower of Turkey" it's a beautiful video with lots of quick pans and zooms.
Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Dec 29, 2016 at 11:15:39 pm

Hi, that clip is a beautiful example of the editor's art. I'm not sure what you mean by duplicating the video layer and zooming in? You can mask out a section of the image (say a doorway) and zoom through it to see another clip. Since you know the look you want you would need to experiment and see what works. There is a lot of skill that has gone into that clip (one of the great strengths is the use of, and matching of, colors).

Return to posts index

Sahil ZafarRe: How is movement done in a shot in after effects
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 1:03:38 pm

That video is indeed a work of art. But what you said about zooming through a doorway, is that using a camera layer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How is movement done in a shot in after effects
by on Dec 30, 2016 at 5:31:17 pm

I saw absolutely nothing in that video that would require more than frame rate changes in After Effects to speed them up. This includes the movement around the minaret, the dolly back on the mosque dome, the fast pans, etc. No other exotic effects necessary.

There was a lot of PLANNING in many shots to keep them smooth after they were speeded up, but that is the beauty of planning. You know what you want to achieve. You gather the proper equipment to give you the desired result. You shoot tests to eliminate errors. THEN you get the shot.

This person had a detailed plan -- plus a very strong possibility of an excellent STORYBOARD -- and executed it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 30, 2016 at 11:14:11 pm
Last Edited By Greg Gesch on Dec 31, 2016 at 12:48:14 am

What Dave says is very true, however to your door question - you can use a camera or not. Make your layers 3D, move the lower layer (the one your zooming into) back in Z space. Use a camera - or parent both layers to a 3D null then keyframe the null's Z position ( and X or Y if necessary); the top layer moves forward leaving you with the other layer filling the frame (you might need to scale it up to fit).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]