ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

External Samsung SSD for AE Cache on iMac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Rappelsberger
External Samsung SSD for AE Cache on iMac
on Dec 28, 2016 at 3:19:25 pm

Hi guys,

i'm working on a late 2013 27'iMac and would like to increase performace with a dedicated drive for my AE Cache. I have a 1TB Fusion drive in my machine, so I was thinking on writing my cache to an external disc.

Does anybody have experience with the portable SSD "T3" from Samsung?
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT500B/dp/B01AVF6UQQ/ref=...

Or do you have other suggestions? I think it would definitely speed things up and its not that expensive, probably I would go for the 250 GB, maybe even 500GB and also use it for final rendering of projects.

I'm just a little confused about the overview table here: (scroll a little)
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412...

Under "Recommended For" it says here "Fast and Reliable External Storage" while for for the internal 850 EVO for example it says "Everyday Computing". Is the T3 not suited for the constant writing/reading like the AE Cache would do? I already read from different sources that they use the T3 as boot disc, so actually i think it should work, but i did not find any posts on using the T3 as Cache for postproduction. Thats why im starting this thread now and hope for your help. ☺

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: External Samsung SSD for AE Cache on iMac
on Dec 28, 2016 at 6:49:15 pm

i don't think you can get the ae cache to go to any other drive other than the main drive... but i'm not sure that matters for speed.

with that 1tb fusion drive, you have a 128gb ssd that is fused with a 900gb spinning hd.

in theory, any writes to that drive should be stored first on the 128gb ssd, and transferred to the spinning hd as the ssd fill up. so (in theory), your ae cache should live mostly on the ssd after you've used ae for a bit.

you could use an external drive for your media cache (that location is definable in the ae preferences), and if the ssd drive you are looking at can achieve usb3 or thunderbolt2 data rates, then you very well could see an improvement in performance, though i have not tested that.

look on the internet for ae benchmarks (or external drive benchmarks) for iMacs... barefeats.com has a lot of mac benchmarks, and you may find something there.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Simon Rappelsberger
Re: External Samsung SSD for AE Cache on iMac
on Dec 29, 2016 at 9:54:50 am

Oh, yeah - with AE cache i meant the media cache, for previewing in AE. Sorry for the confusion!

I know how the fusiondrive works in theory, but its a little unclear what it really does and I want to have my source files, system/apps and media cache on different drives as this improves speed. Thats why I have to go with an external SSD. Or maybe an internal SSD with a thunderbolt case or something like that.

Its just that the Samsung T3 seems quite nice and is not very expensive.

Thanks for your answer, I'll probably get it and just try it out. If its not good enough I could always exchange it with a 850 in a thunderbolt case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]