ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Snow Around An Animated Matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Czarnecki
Snow Around An Animated Matte
on Dec 22, 2016 at 3:39:09 am

I created a matte with white rectangles and keyframes to animate it across the screen. I then created another copy with colored outlines in order to surround the matte with a color. So:
V1 layer is video
V2 layer is matte
V3 layer is outlines

Then I decided I wanted snow effects around the animated matte but not on the video V1 layer.

What layer would the snow go on and how would I keep it out of the matte?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Snow Around An Animated Matte
on Dec 22, 2016 at 6:12:38 am

If the snow is the bottom layer then it will be below all the layers and not seen on the video.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ronald Czarnecki
on Dec 24, 2016 at 2:54:41 pm

When the mattes cut through to the video below it will show the snow. I was hoping to get the snow to go around the mattes and only show in the black area.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 24, 2016 at 5:03:37 pm

I am not sure how you created your mattes. many ways to create a matte in Ae. here's one similar setup to what I think you want. see this setup and tell me if that looks like what you want. if not, explain exactly what's the issue

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ronald Czarnecki
on Dec 24, 2016 at 6:29:26 pm

Exactly like I would like it.

I did my matte with a white shape and animated it across the screen. I put the snow around the matte and allowed whatever video I used to show through the mattes. I am thinking a mask need to move along the shape to reveal the video without showing the snow.

Another words this is a template that I can use any video in.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 24, 2016 at 6:54:57 pm

if it is what you want then the setup is right there in front of you to replicate. here's the project file:

10901_matte.aep.zip

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ronald Czarnecki
on Dec 24, 2016 at 9:08:11 pm

Thank you for trying on this holiday time. What I was hoping to do was to cut through that white star and create a way the snow could go around the matte when it is applied to an NEL in which a matte key would be dropped on the effect.

This way any object could be used instead of snow and it would flow around the animated matte.

I guess what makes this hard is the key framed matte changing shape, otherwise you could just cut a hole with a mask perhaps.

I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Dec 24, 2016 at 9:40:11 pm

[Ronald Czarnecki] " create a way the snow could go around the matte when it is applied to an NEL in which a matte key would be dropped on the effect. "

you lost me there. I think I still don't understand the issue... if you could illustrate what the result should look like visually in photoshop or other ways then I think we can offer some way to deal with this. many ways to make a matte, surely there is a way that will satisfy what you need.

Roei Tzoref
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Dec 28, 2016 at 6:10:54 pm

if you want to composite this in an NLE (like Premiere), then, in AE, I would apply the matte to the snow layer and remove the video layer. Then render that out to a codec that supports an alpha channel (like apple's prores 4444, lossless animation, or avid's dnxhd).

import that rending into your NLE and and you should be able to place that in a video track over another piece of video and it should work the way i think you want it...

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]