ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

R3D RAW Export format & settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Constantin KormannR3D RAW Export format & settings
by on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:43:01 am

Hey all,

I am still studying, so forgive me my novice question.
I also did a lot of research the past two days, but all results are either very dated or not precise enough.

So my problem is:

We had the privilege to shoot with a RED Dragon a few weeks ago and I got a lot of footage to perform VFX work, noise reduction and cleanup on.
I obviously have to give the shots back in a RAW format to the editor. By that I mean preserving the advantages of RAW. I don't yet fully understand the details in regards to file formats and RAW.

What would be the best export settings for that? Data rate is not an issue, since the editor lives in the same city and I can just bring him the HDD.

Would it be enough to just export into AVI Uncompressed with the highest bit depth?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: R3D RAW Export format & settings
by on Dec 21, 2016 at 2:20:01 pm

You can't render to a RAW format because that is created in camera when capturing. I would use 16 bit float OpenEXR sequences for this.

Return to posts index

Constantin KormannRe: R3D RAW Export format & settings
by on Dec 21, 2016 at 2:48:31 pm

Okay thanks, is there anything else I have to pay attention to?
If the RAW format isn't achievable, the corrections that require RAW (White Balance, ISO, etc.) have to be done before I begin my work, correct?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: R3D RAW Export format & settings
by on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:56:42 pm
Last Edited By Tero Ahlfors on Dec 21, 2016 at 3:57:30 pm

[Constantin Kormann] "the corrections that require RAW (White Balance, ISO, etc.) have to be done before I begin my work, correct?"

Yes. You cannot access any RAW controls or RAW data after the export so it should have as much data as possible so don't clip shadows, highlights or color channels. Especially if it's going to be graded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]