ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ AdamsText Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?
by on Dec 18, 2016 at 1:18:24 am

In CS6 when I select a text layer and apply Layer>Mask>New Mask and then change the mask to Rectangle, it masks perfectly. But when I paste this mask group into a solid (to cut a white background), the mask appears above and to the right of the position in the original text layer. I can of course drag this back to the right place.

But this seems to be trying to tell me something about the relationship between a mask created by AE from a text layer and the solid layer it gets pasted into. I've gone back through Meyers chapters on Text and Masks carefully. But I don't get the method behind this madness.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: Text Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?
by on Dec 18, 2016 at 2:11:18 am

Hi, it seems that when you copy the mask it jumps to the center point of the solid. This may have something to do with the size/position of the two layers not being the same.

Return to posts index

Russ AdamsRe: Text Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?
by on Dec 18, 2016 at 8:49:13 pm

Thanks! I see that when I put the text position point on 960,540 the text lines up with the white solid masked behind it. Looks like one should create captions and citations on normal 1920 x 1080 text layers. Then layer, mask, new mask for appropriate cutouts (made rectangular), before being copied to white solid.

Nest the white-backed text and only then change text position to where it needs to be.

Thanks to your suggestion we're back on the right track! Happy holidays!

Return to posts index

Greg GeschRe: Text Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?
by on Dec 19, 2016 at 12:19:56 am

HI, or you can pickwhip the solid's position to the text's position. Then they are locked together in the original text position.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Text Layer>Mask>New Layer creates mask that pasted in solid layer, is always above and right of the text position. Why?
by on Dec 19, 2016 at 2:56:06 am

You might have to reset yoyr text layer. Changes made to kerning, character spacing, line spacing, etc. do not change with a new text layer. Highlight all the text in the layer and hit Reset in the character panel. If that was the problem you should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]