ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

ae cc query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettae cc query
by on Dec 17, 2016 at 10:15:14 am

Hi - am still using cs6 for a number of reasons and it has got to the point where I have lost touch with what is happening - in fact I dont really know how it all works anymore.

For instance - does the fab ray tracing function still work ( is it there even ? ) - I dont want to learn a related 3d program that hasnt got the same interactivity -- or has it ? -- have looked at tutorials on it and it lseems pretty clunky by comparison ( ? )

---- if you are on a subscription model can you even open previous projects if you havent paid that month ? - what happens if you stop paying ? --- I cant get used to this idea -- maybe I have misunderstood it --- loads of other queries as well......

---- also I get the idea its full of bugs - seen loads of complaints -- but is this more than cs6 ????

Has anybody got a link please to any really good info on this stuff?

Will download a demo later and take a look but I'm not convinced I am prepared to be paying every month just in case I want to open a file...

.... also where are the files stored --- are they on the cloud !!!! -- what about security ??????

----- hard to know where to start

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: ae cc query
by on Dec 17, 2016 at 4:46:20 pm

Some quick answers to all your questions... My responses are based on my experience in CC 2015.3, which is currently more stable than CC 2017. Keep in mind that with CC you have access to all versions from CS6 to present.

1. Ray-tracing still works, but is still sloowww. C4D Lite has a bit of a learning curve, but is more powerful and works much more smoothly. Maybe take the time you wait for your ray-traces to render and watch some tutorials instead 😉

2. If you cancel, you have access to your projects for 30 days if you have a monthly subscription and 99 days on a yearly subscription.

3. I don't find 2015.3 to be any more buggy than CS6. Works very smoothly for the most part.

4. Link to FAQ

5. You don't need to store anything in the cloud. The only reason you need an internet connection is to install the software and then for Adobe to verify your subscription once a month.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: ae cc query
by on Dec 17, 2016 at 9:03:38 pm

Hi Dan - thanks for this---- very useful.

----- a bit puzzled by the 30 day thing though -- if its not stored on the cloud why cant you open it ? --- and if Ae cc somehow just wont do it am wondering if you could open it anyway with the cs6 version you had before you upgraded ??

--- also wondering what would happen if you used it for a while a did 10 projects ( say ) - cancelled and then went back to these using your cs6 version -- do you know if it would open them please ??

------------ also am going to check out those C4D tutorials : ) ---- cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------chris ---

=========================================================================

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: ae cc query
by on Dec 17, 2016 at 9:47:00 pm

Adobe uses the internet connection to make sure your license is valid, but will allow you to be offline for 30 days before the license "expires." This is to ensure you don't pay for one month and then just run all the software on an offline machine.

If you own the standalone CS6, you can open any CS6 compatible projects even if your Cloud membership is cancelled. However, if you create a project in CC 2017, you cannot open it in CS6, just as you can't open a CS6 file in CS4.

If you cancel your membership, you won't lose any project files. You can still purchase it again at a later date or use them with another valid license. You simply lose your access to the software until you pay up again.

Hope that helps!
Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: ae cc query
by on Dec 17, 2016 at 10:38:27 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 17, 2016 at 10:57:52 pm

In other words...
If you create a project in AE CC 2017, you CAN open it in CS6, but not without a lot of work! It has to be backsaved through each previous version until you get to CS6. Needless to say, the features used in the newer versions are lost.

If you find that to be an appealing prospect, a 7-day. CC tryout might be for you. That's right, the tryout period has shrunk from 30 days to 7. So to investigate the latest version fully, be prepared to do nothing else .It doesn't apply to just AE but to ALL CC apps. So if you want to check out the bug-riddled Premiere Pro, the same 7 days apply. Better have a lot of coffee!

Many people have had success with the CC versions. But in my mind, enough people have fundamental problems with the software as to cast doubt on the overall quality of the software.

You may recall that many software developers employed Beta Testers for their software. To find the bugs they couldn't. Adobe now seems to have adopted a new strategy: the Unpaid Beta Tester Program. If you rent the software, you're part of The Program. The reason: new versions of software are now released in such a sorry state that Adobe needs all the help it can get. So people are DRAFTED to be Beta Testers as soon as they start renting. They don't even know they've been drafted.

The bottom line is this: if you have a standalone version of CS6, treat it as if it were gold. I have the entire Creative Suite 5.5, and I have two clones of my system drive. Eventually, my machine will become a legacy machine. But I don't care. I will have versions of Adobe software that work just fine with no internet connection, and which will serve me well for years to come.
I am not the least bit unhappy about this. My employer stays a version behind, which I think is prudent. My old software is just fine for my volunteer work.

You may be in a different situation. If so, just get yourself an All-New machine and start renting your software. Be prepared to deal with software that does not work as advertised. I for one will be damned if I will do that on my home machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2016 at 12:35:26 pm

Thanks Dan for the follow up -- again most useful.

Also thanks Dave for your frank and informative comments ....... this is pretty much what I thought was happening --

Its a complete puzzle to me why CS6 wasnt developed - I thought it was a real game-changer when I first saw it

-- once again thankyou both - will checkout the trial and see how it goes

-------------------------------- cheers ! ----- chris ---

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: ae cc query
by on Dec 20, 2016 at 11:09:36 am

I'm using a mix of Ae 2015.3 and 2017, and I couldn't imagine going back to CS6.

With After Effects 2015, the Ae development team has begun some major re-architecture on After Effects. They've been digging into some really old areas of the application and re-writing them to be able to better take advantage of new hardware.

The first fruits of this are the new preview system in Ae CC 2015, in which the UI thread and the renderer thread are separate, for the first time ever. This makes the system a lot more responsive while you're using it, and this is (in my opinion) worth the price of admission. I find Ae CC 2015.3 a lot more usable on a day-to-day basis than Ae CC 2014 and prior.

That said, swapping out the internals of the application while maintaining the UI and UX, and keeping compatibility with the existing galaxy of plugins and scripts, is definitely non-trivial and there have been a number of bugs in earlier versions of 2015 and now in 2017.

Unlike some of Ae CC 2017's loudest critics, I actually use it. There are definitely bugs [link], but I see a lot of misinformation, too. A number of issues that are blamed on 2017 bugs on forums like this one are really user errors that would be problematic on any version of Ae, and that have nothing to do with Ae CC 2017 specifically. In fact, it seems that Ae CC 2017 gets blamed in nearly every single query as soon as it's mentioned, without taking time to investigate the issue any further. Unfortunately, I think this makes it very difficult for readers to get an accurate impression of the current release.

The first releases of Ae CC 2015 and now Ae CC 2017 were undeniably rough around the edges. There's value in the advice to upgrade cautiously -- I strongly advise you to keep old versions when you install the new one [link]. But as someone who actually uses the new versions, I can say there is a lot to like, both in terms of new creative features as well as small, boring, everyday improvements.

Here are some improvements since CS6. I had to cheat and look them up since there have been so many.

After Effects CC:
- C4D integration
- Refine Soft Edge / Refine Soft Matte
- Warp Stabilizer VFX
- Layer snapping
- Hi DPI support (Retina displays)
- Rigid mask tracker
- Detail-preserving upscale
- Property linking
- Creation of folders for image sequences at render-time
- Convert parametric shape paths to Bezier
- Center anchor point command
- Spring-loaded folders

After Effects CC 2014:
- Key Cleaner and Advanced Spill Suppressor
- Text templates between Ae/Pr
- Compositing options (limit effects to masked areas)
- Native Cineform support
- Scripting improvements

After Effects CC 2015:
- Uninterrupted playback
- Character Animator
- Creative Cloud libraries
- Face tracker
- Multi-touch gestures
- Stacked panel groups
- Lumetri Color effect
- Auto-save on render
- GPU-accelerated effects
- Send to AME from Render Queue

After Effects CC 2017:
- C4D rendering engine for 3D comps
- Team Projects (beta)
- Real-time playback of unaltered source media
- Additional GPU-accelerated effects
- Date & time tokens

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2016 at 2:18:59 pm

Many thanks Walter -- very informative stuff and most useful.

-- food for thought indeed -- lots of good stuff in there

--------------------------------------- all the best ----chris

=================================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]