ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Neef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monk NgNeef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output
by on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:41:22 am

We have worked on the videos for days, and we waited hours for the final output. We then see a layer forgot to turn on, or an outdated footage. My dear creative cow fellows, could you share some tips on previewing work in progress during post-production? Should I render a preview after every update? Any advice will be appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Neef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output
by on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:51:27 pm

What are the duration of these comps? How much memory do you have for previews? Which version of AE do you use? What kind of changes are you making as a project progresses? What other multimedia software do you use?

Questions, questions, questions......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Monk NgRe: Neef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output
by on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:25:46 am

Thank you for asking. I use Aftet Effects CS5 most of the time and Premier Pro occasionally. My work station has 32GB RAM. The projects I work on are usually mixed with video footage, key frame animations, motion graphics and 3D, and they are usually longer than a minute. The two types of update that I find in difficult to preview are:
1. Pacing, such as object movement, revealing pace or the overall video pacing.
2. One frame diffetence, like a background that has one frame morr or less than it is supposed to be.
If the scene I am working on are heavily composited, should I use ram preview, or should I render in h.264 for preview?
I have a tendency not preview the entire video because it takes so much time...

Return to posts index

Dave KobleskyRe: Neef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output
by on Dec 13, 2016 at 8:25:34 pm

This is just MY way of working. But your issues is important, because you need to be efficient and able to check what you are doing as you work.

1. Always set preview to a lower quality, like 1/2 or 1/3 so you can see animation and changes quickly
2. Adjust your work area constantly to a small set of what you are working on. I usually have it set to about 90 frames, 150 frames? Depends on what you are doing
3. Render preview (numpad 0) at lower resolution a lot to see a real time view of your work in that small areas
4. Purge your memory a lot, every few minutes so it is all available for you to do preview with
5. Empty your cache frequently. This can easily get full and cause speed problems

Every hour or three:
1. Change your preview resolution to Full to eyeball what you are doing and check for errors
2. Render a section (maybe 2-3 of the above mentioned 90-150 frame sections) at half resolution to see if you have made any errors

Once you render the full version what you are doing, this should help ensure you make fewer mistakes. But they will still be there! Good complex work takes time and requires a lot of patience.

Now, if you are using AE to do long form work, I would say move to a program like Premiere or Final Cut. AE is best for intensive short videos. I say this only because it SOUNDS like the work you are doing is long based on the description.

Anyway, hope this helps! Good luck!

Return to posts index

Monk NgRe: Neef some advice on previewing work in progress for better output
by on Dec 14, 2016 at 1:37:56 am

Thank you for your detailed sharing, Dave K!! I seldom use point 4 and 5 cause I thought Aae will do it automatically. Will do this from now on. It is very true that good complex works take a lot of time and patience. I will keep this in mind!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]