ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Live text template - Dynamic mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kowall
AE Live text template - Dynamic mask?
on Dec 12, 2016 at 5:00:10 pm

Hello!

I am creating a Live Text template for lower 1/3 for use in Premiere Pro. I have a background rectangle behind my text that automatically resizes, depending on the length of the name. I would like to have the right edge of this background shape fade to transparent after the end of the name text, which will obviously vary in length.

Here is the expression I am using on the background strip:

In the size entry:
x = thisComp.layer("Name").sourceRectAtTime().width+300;
y = value[1];
[x, y]

In the position entry:
content("Rectangle Path 1").size/2

I have tried duping the background strip and putting a gradient ramp at the edge, and using it as a mask. It works when overlaid over the strip, but I am animating the mask from off-screen (left) into position at the left edge, and the gradient ramp position stays static, instead of moving with the mask...

Putting a feathered linear wipe on the strip doesn't work either because the 0% and 100% never seems to be true to the shape, so it doesn't work for varying size. (Can someone please explain that too?)

Any thoughts on this? Thanks very much in advance!

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Live text template - Dynamic mask?
on Dec 12, 2016 at 6:57:44 pm

I don't know if I'd do this with a wipe. I'd try a solid with a horizontal feathered mask, precomposed. You can then use the position property to move it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kowall
on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:28:22 pm

Thanks for your response, Dave.

The thing is... I need the mask to be exactly the same size as the background strip, so it's got the same expression as the strip does. I just need the last, say, 200 pixels or so to fade to transparent. I can't figure out how to do it dynamically as the strip changes width depending on the text length...

Sorry if this is confusing...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 12, 2016 at 7:42:32 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:18:00 am

You ought to be able to do that. You use the precomp as a track matte to create the fade. But you actually have two values from that precomp that should help you in conjunction with the expression you're using for the text box: position or anchor point. Of the two I think position would be more helpful.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]