ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Comp using Videos with Varied Frame Rates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob SommerladAfter Effects Comp using Videos with Varied Frame Rates
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 9:06:36 pm

Hello!

I would really appreciate some help/advice if anyone has any insights about the following issue.

A sizzle reel that a client has asked me make needs to include a scene where a grid of silent video clips all play at once, and periodically one of the clips will become highlighted in some way, and its audio will come in. The clips haven't been collected yet, but they will be a mixed bag of sizes, formats and frame rates.

Thing is - what frame rate should I give the composition in order to deal with such a range of footage? Should I convert all of the clips so that they are in a shared codec and frame rate beforehand?

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Cheers, Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Comp using Videos with Varied Frame Rates
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 10:41:24 pm

Oooh, find out about those frame rates! You can pretty much deal with everything else.

Oh, and find out who times out the audio -- you or them. Because AE absolutely SUCKS at audio. You may find yourself working in Premiere, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob SommerladRe: After Effects Comp using Videos with Varied Frame Rates
by on Dec 8, 2016 at 10:56:54 pm

Thanks Dave!
I already asked and they aren't sure! It's for a large, and therefore very bureaucratic and slow organisation, so no one can give a clear idea of how their various internal teams shoot, plus there will also be some videos sourced from external partner's YouTube and Instagram channels. That's why I am assuming that it will be a real mixed bag.
Should I just stick with whatever is the most common frame rate amongst them?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Comp using Videos with Varied Frame Rates
by on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:45:17 am

Yeah, that's the wisest choice. But there will be no getting around 25fps footage if you choose 59.94 or 29.97. You might have to invest in Twixtor if you don't already have it.

And if it's coming from a truly diverse range of sources, I'm sure you're aware of all the pitfalls entailed. Various dimensions.... various frame rates... color correction issues... audio that's all over the place.

I hope you'll be well-paid for this, and that the client's aware that it isn't just a simple matter of aggregating footage and slapping it together.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]