ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem Importing Illustrator File as COMPOSITION into AE .. Layers coming in as Image Sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Jay
Problem Importing Illustrator File as COMPOSITION into AE .. Layers coming in as Image Sequence
on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:15:44 pm
Last Edited By Andy Jay on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:21:40 pm

Hi,
I am importing layered Illustrator Files as comps, either as comp size or as layer size, and when I open the comp, the layers are showing as image sequences .. They have a different icon than normal.

I will attach a screen grab ..

I am using in AE cc 2017.
Yesterday this problem was not there ...

Anyone else experiencing this? Any help appreciated .. Just started a new project with a short deadline!

Thanks

Shoots, Animation, Editing. Adobe Post Production. Sound Design & Logic Music.
MAC OS CAPITAN
IMAC 27" FULLY LOADED
ADOBE CC2017
BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Problem Importing Illustrator File as COMPOSITION into AE .. Layers coming in as Image Sequence
on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:30:26 pm

when importing, did you make sure the sequence checkbox is off?

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
Re: Problem Importing Illustrator File as COMPOSITION into AE .. Layers coming in as Image Sequence
on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:33:37 pm

Hi, there is no checkbox in CC2017 on Mac ..

MAC OS CAPITAN
IMAC 27" FULLY LOADED
ADOBE CC2017
BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

wilhelm Hagberg
on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:35:08 pm

Hey,

You need to make sure that the Illustrator file is made in RGB mode and not CMYK.

Best-
Wilhelm

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
on Dec 7, 2016 at 4:41:17 pm

Thanks, I had already checked and the error remains .. The AI files are all RGB

MAC OS CAPITAN
IMAC 27" FULLY LOADED
ADOBE CC2017
BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2016 at 5:15:13 pm

Even though there have been been a couple of bug fixes, a lot of AE CC 2017 users unknowingly find themselves in the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

If there's no overwhelmingly compelling reason to use the new version, stick with an older version that actually works. Or at least works better than the newest version.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
on Dec 7, 2016 at 5:24:24 pm

Thanks .. I'll be working in cs6 for this project now ... quite disappointing for sure ...

Shoots, Animation, Editing. Adobe Creative Suite CC2017. Sound Design & Logic Music Production.
---
Mac OS X - El Capitan 10.11.6
iMac 27" Fully Loaded

BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:19:15 pm

There's no reason to go that far back. Your CC subscription includes all versions from CS6 onward and they can all be installed alongside each other. If you have to go back at all, I'd suggest the CC 2014 release.

That being said, CC 2017 should work fine for this. Can we see a screenshot of the import screen?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:30:38 pm
Last Edited By Andy Jay on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:35:15 pm

Thanks Michael,

I had a similar glitch the other day and had to jump back to CC2015 rectify it .. Have stuck with CS6 for years now as the CC stuff caused problems a while ago .. I know the project I'm currently working on doesn't need any off the latest features so the easiest quick fix for me ..

I have used AE since its earliest days so something as basic as importing AI layered comps should just work ..
Any input is appreciated.

Here is the import screen shot -

I also tried 'Footage Dimensions as Layer Size'

Shoots, Animation, Editing. Adobe Creative Suite CC2017. Sound Design & Logic Music Production.
---
iMac 27" Fully Loaded

BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:37:38 pm

I meant the screen before you get to that one, sorry.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:53:23 pm
Last Edited By Andy Jay on Dec 7, 2016 at 9:56:58 pm

Sure here you go .. all import stages for reference

---
iMac 27" Fully Loaded

BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 7, 2016 at 10:09:46 pm

What do you get when you click on that Options button in the file selector?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andy Jay
on Dec 8, 2016 at 4:22:39 pm

Hey Walter,

I hadn't noticed that option button, that's the fix! ☺

The options button on the import window opens this dialogue ..

My files imported correctly using the 'options button' and once I unchecked 'import as sequence' .. it now defaults to that.

Thanks for your input all, much appreciated :)

---
iMac 27" Fully Loaded

BIG SMILES

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 8, 2016 at 5:58:17 pm

Yay! That little button is where I think most of us were thinking the issue was. Glad you found it!

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Warren Willmott
on Jan 10, 2017 at 12:23:29 pm

Its a simple fix, it also stumped me for a while.

When promted to select file to import into AE, click the options button on bottom left of finder and uncheck sequence.

Return to posts index

Dan Swenson
on Dec 8, 2016 at 4:08:38 pm

I also came across this issue today and the only way I was able to fix it is by changing how I named my files. When I have them named Scene 1, Scene 2, Scene 3 and so forth they come in as a footage sequence no matter what I do. But when I name them things such as Gas Pump Scene and Cloud City Scene they come in as ai layers. I don't know if this is adobe testing a new thing without telling us or what. Either way I really don't know if that was what fixed it. But it seems to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]