ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fast frames in graph editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Polina KorneevaFast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 2:35:39 am

Hello all. My issue is as follows:

I have 3 images (as separate layers) sliding down one after another within 20 frames (really fast). I linked the images to an adjustment layer where I have the position keyframes, but turns out it's still difficult to adjust the timing right to make them slide down smooth enough (I'm doing this in a graph editor) . For example, the 1st image and the 3rd image both have good timing and acceleration, but the one in-between just doesn't slide the same way I want it to be (is the time gap too small?); so the 1st image interferes with the 2nd one (I get after-image) even though you can see it slide down if you watch really closely. I remember I saw some videos with really fast frame rates and they worked really well (but I don't have the links anymore). I'd appreaciate any advice, perhaps resources even, tutorials, blogs etc.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Fast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:50:06 am

Can you share a video or project file, so we can see what you can see? It's hard to visualize your exact problem from this description.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Polina KorneevaRe: Fast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 7:06:33 pm

I'm new to Creative Cow so I tried uploading a file but it didn't show up under this thread. So here the google drive link - would this work?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4BA1JSU3YrtYlhibjY0YjlheEk

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:16:22 pm

I'm trying to figure out why you're using an adjustment layer to move other layers. I'm not having any success at it. It seems it would be much simpler to just animate the position on the layers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2016 at 7:18:04 pm

Is that so? I thought doing everything on one layer may be faster than doing everything on individual ones. What I end up with is a bunch of curves on the same layer though, and the time it gets confusing is when I need to move a keyframe but it affects those next to it. It helps a little when I set the value to 0 in-between them though (it kinda separates them). Here:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 11:02:33 pm

[Polina Korneeva] "Is that so? I thought doing everything on one layer may be faster than doing everything on individual ones."

Adjustment layers only affect how the layers below them LOOK. That's about it. But what you want to do is dead simple:
  • Put your three stills in their ENDING positions. Put the timeline cursor where you want the first image to stop moving. Make position keyframe for it -- click on the little stopwatch.
  • Move the timeline cursor back in time to the point where you want the first image to begin moving, off the screen. Now drag the first still off the screen. AE automatically makes another position keyframe.
  • Go to the initial keyframe you made, which is the second one. Right-click on it. Select Easy Ease In from the list of options.

Repeat the process for the other two images. No messy Graph Editor necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2016 at 10:38:47 pm

Thank you all, this cleared my head a bit. Gonna go review what I did.

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: Fast frames in graph editor
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 9:19:25 pm

[Polina Korneeva] " I linked the images to an adjustment layer where I have the position keyframes"

you linked them to a layer via parenting but this layer being an adjustment layer serves no use to you. next time use a null layer - it's a layer that does not render and it's only purpose is to be a parent to other layers. adjustment layers are for applying an "effect" to affect the composite of all the layers underneath. a null is for parenting layers to it to control their transformation properties all at once.

[Polina Korneeva] "but turns out it's still difficult to adjust the timing right to make them slide down smooth enough"

you should leave the graph editor for later if you want. first set the initial animation where you want it to be. if you want the movement to be faster then set the keyframes close together and slower vice versa. later when you want to make different speeds between the two key frames (for example very fast at first and very slow towards the end) you can do that by adjusting the handles in the graph editor. with the speed graph (the default for position) the taller it gets - the more speed it moves.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2016 at 10:52:02 pm

Ok, thanks I get it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]