ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating Z Perspective on a 2d Image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael CassidyCreating Z Perspective on a 2d Image
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 1:58:35 pm
Last Edited By Michael Cassidy on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:01:23 pm

Hi!

I'm pretty new to AE after years of using Final Cut Pro, I recently forked out more money than I probably should on AE and I'm just amazed at the versatility and the limitless possibilities now open to my editing.

My kids are absolutely hooked on this Youtube channel called 'Wow English' (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx1xhxQyzR4TT6PmXO0khbQ) and I've kinda reversed engineered his process so I can see how he's making these vids, BUT, there's a huge stumbling block I can't seem to work around.

I've outlined afew examples below where Steve (hero) is actually INSIDE certain elements.

Sat in a car - 3:22 -

Up to 20+ seconds sat in the mine cart (and flickering lights?!) -

Walking out from the van - 00:25

Sat in the bath - 2:19

What I don't quite understand here is how he's created these elements so that he can be inside them. I imagine they are either 2d images and he's using some funky masking or layering technique to have him sit between the front and back layer of the car/cart/bath etc....

Or, is he creating these elements in, say, flash as images with the front and back as separate images and creating depth of field so that the back and front of the image can have items slipped between them.

I realise this is probably a stupidly easy situation to work around but as mentioned, I'm a newb and would love to work out the best way to implement this technique.

Thanks for all of your help :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating Z Perspective on a 2d Image
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 5:51:04 pm

Howdy! Some words of advice about After Effects:
First, two metaphors -- learning to use FCP is like learning to drive a car with a stick shift.
Learning to use AE is like learning to fly an FA-18 Hornet off a carrier flight deck.
AE has a darned steep learning curve. Don't attempt to learn it intuitively. Use the tutorials you'll find here on the COW and on the Adobe web site.

Speaking of the COW, Andrew Devis made a GREAT series of AE Basics tutorials a few years back. Here's a link to them via Adobe:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/after-effects-basics-tutorials-by-and...

More AE Basics stuff follows from Andrew Kramer of videocopilot:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/video-copilot-basic-training-s/?segme...

Now, these tutorials may use different AE versions than yours, but the basic principles still apply. That's what you're after -- learning the basics. Crawl before you walk in AE!

Now to answer your questions directly:
That guy's learned how to 1) plan his shots like crazy and 2) shoot and pull a really good chroma key.
You're right about about the layering: front of car on top layer, chroma key guy with steering wheel in the middle layer, back of car on the layer below.

It'll help a lot to know YOUR FCP, AE & OS versions. We can point you to more version-specific stuff.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael CassidyRe: Creating Z Perspective on a 2d Image
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 8:38:28 pm

Jeepers!!!

What a great post, thank you so much Dave for taking the time to write all that, I REALLY appreciate it mate ☺

Boring stuff:

OS - El Capitan 10.11.6
AE - CC 2015

I've actually been consuming tutorials like crazy over the last few weeks and I've already made a couple of videos using AE and it seems pretty intuitive for the kind of (simple) stuff I'm making! Looking forward to really unleashing the power of it.

With regards to the above guy in the vid, he actually shoots in a proper studio which is floor to ceiling green screen, amazing lighting rig etc so he's obviously got a quality key already in place.

I was wondering about how he appears IN stuff, be it a bath, a train cockpit etc... If I'm understanding your post correctly, he's doing standard one layer Green Screen and then in post (AE) sandwiching himself between front layer (2d image) - him in the middle - and then the background layer (Another 2d image which gives the illusion of a 3d image).

I do most of my cartoon sketches in Flash so it would be simple enough to create the front layer, and the the background layer on another layer. If the above is actually the way he does it, that answers my question, thank you so much ☺

Another quick one,

In the second video down on the OP, at the very start, his face morphs into a monster.... Is this an effect which is easily achieved?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond mate, I really appreciate it :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating Z Perspective on a 2d Image
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 10:47:35 pm

Yup, AE is all about the layers. You'll see how they work vividly in a lot of tutorials.

Sadly, I've never even attempted a morph; I haven't really had the need to.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]