ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Maintain image quality when re-sizing an image down

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris EdwardMaintain image quality when re-sizing an image down
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 1:07:37 pm

Hi guys - I'm new to the Forum but see there's smart advice coming through and wanted to get involved with the community.

I have a question that I am hoping some clever minds can help me with. I have a jpg image of a street sign, so image and text. When this is normal size it's perfect i.e. no pixelation or blurriness. However, when I scale this image down to fit within the AE comp it is losing its sharpness and the text on the sign is becoming blurry, even if viewed on a 50inch TV.

Please help, how can I reduce the image size whilst still maintaining the image's original sharpness and clarity of the image and the text?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Maintain image quality when re-sizing an image down
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 4:30:48 pm

Maybe use the scaling in Photoshop which has a specific setting for reduction (when you select Image Size):

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Maintain image quality when re-sizing an image down
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:05:09 pm

Check the resolution of your Comp window -- it may be set to half, third or something other than Full.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Maintain image quality when re-sizing an image down
by on Nov 30, 2016 at 9:21:35 am

You might try switching the layer to bicubic sampling as detailed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/layers.html#layer_image_quality...

Alternatively, you can apply effects to the layer to smooth (Fast Blur) or sharpen (Unsharp Mask) the image. Generally effects are rendered before layer transformations like Scaling are rendered, so if the image is being scammed to 50% then a1 pixel radius blur will end up being a 0.5 pixel blur after the scaling.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]