ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Texturing a Vector Shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melisa BalaTexturing a Vector Shape
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 9:16:39 am
Last Edited By Melisa Bala on Nov 28, 2016 at 2:36:28 pm

Hello,

I want to make an animation with multiple vector shapes with textures in 3D enviorenment.

I want my vector shapes to have textures. I am doing this by putting a texture in the background and choosing the Multiply in the Layer Mode. However, when I do it, layers get transparent and I want them to be individual layers, have individual textures.

I am attaching my dummy trial composition.
How can I add texture to those layers?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Texturing a Vector Shape
by on Nov 28, 2016 at 6:09:00 pm

You'd need to precompose the shape and the texture layer. This will probably solve your dilemma. I say "probably" because we don't know how close you'll get to the layer with your camera -- too close and it could start looking really crummy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Melisa BalaRe: Texturing a Vector Shape
by on Nov 30, 2016 at 10:02:36 am

Hello Dave,

I tried your solution.

Somehow, I can see the textured vectors in the Pre-Comp, but the texture can not be seen in the main composition. I will try it again and figure it out. If I can't I'll post again ☺

Thank you so much,
Melis

Return to posts index

Frederic AntoinetteRe: Texturing a Vector Shape
by on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:59:50 am

I can see two possible methods:
Method 1: Track Matt
Simply place your texture beneath your shape layer, make sure the z position of the shape and texture are the same. And change the TrkMatt for the texture to Aplha Matt.

Method 2: Mask
Create a new mask on your texture layer.
Copy the path from the shape layer and paste it in the Mask of the texture layer. I find it easier to add a keyframe to the path and copy that to the Mask, sometime copy pasting path might not work without a keyframe.

Return to posts index

Melisa BalaRe: Texturing a Vector Shape
by on Nov 30, 2016 at 10:05:28 am

Hello Frederic,

I'll try your solution as soon as I can. But I have more than 40-50 layers. Do you think your methods would work and wouldn't those many of layers slow down AE?

Anyway, thank you, I'll post the results.

Return to posts index

Frederic AntoinetteRe: Texturing a Vector Shape
by on Dec 1, 2016 at 2:08:58 pm

Depending on your computer's performance, it probably will slow down AE a bit more if all layers are shown at the same time, but AE can handle much more layers than that.
Don't know if it will make it faster or slow it down more, but it sure will help you handling all those layers; Depending on your animation you could try to group some layers by Pre-Composing them and turning on collapse transformation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]