ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler AmmonsAdjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?
by on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:44:14 am

Hi! I'm working on a video in which im interested in using displacement maps a lot. I wanted to figure out how I could transform an adjustment layer effect (such as ripple) and apply that to something like a solid layer so that I can then use it for a displacement map... Is there any way to do this? I know it sounds dumb, because I should just be using the effect itself instead of displacement, but I was just curious if this was possible.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?
by on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:47:28 am

You need to duplicate the layer, then precompose it to use it as a displacement map.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler AmmonsRe: Adjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?
by on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:49:43 am

Hi! Thanks for the quick answer! Im a little confused though... do you mean duplicate the adjustment layer with the effect? So I have two ripple adjustment layers, then precomp them?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?
by on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:24:33 am

PRESUMABLY, you're already using one layer, right? And AE has a very specific Render Order, which precludes using an effect on a layer as a displacement map.

So what do you do? You duplicate the layer. You use one of the layers for its original purpose. You pre comp the other, which forces a change in the Render Order -- the main comp sees the pre comp as just another piece of footage.... meaning you can use the pre comp as a displacement map.

And I'm also going to warn you off the extravagant use of adjustment layers. They affect ALL layers below them. Sometimes that's okay, but most of the time it isn't. There's usually no reason for them -- just apply the effect to the desired layer. Use adjustment layers judiciously.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tyler AmmonsRe: Adjustment Layer --> Displacement Map?
by on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:28:20 am

Ahhhh.... thanks for the clarification! Very helpful. Ill use that ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]