Create a 3D stroke from a null object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide Mitidieri
Create a 3D stroke from a null object
on Nov 20, 2016 at 8:50:38 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to make a 3D map animation.

Up to now, the map is a 3D layer which contains a jpeg of the map (so, it is flat, but it can spin around 3 axis). Later on I'll add the 3D terrain with Element 3D.

But that is not the problem. I'm trying to create a path which has to start at a certain time, and finish at another time. When I worked on 2D maps (still in 3D layers), it was easy because I could simply create a shape layer and add a trim path to it, then parent the path to the map.

Now, I don't know how to create a 3D path! I've read it is possible to parent a layer to a null object position, so that layer moves along a 3D path. Similarly, Is there a way to generate a stroke from the position of a null object?

If not, are there other ways to achieve this?

There is an example (the orange curve is just the 3D position of the null layer):

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Create a 3D stroke from a null object
on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:04:50 am

unless you are you going to move the camera in perspective and want to simulate that the stroke is not flat, I think a flat 3d path should be enough. but if so maybe this will help: you can use BAO Mask Avenger script: http://aescripts.com/bao-mask-avenger/ to generate nulls from shape/mask vertices in 3D

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Davide Mitidieri
on Nov 21, 2016 at 7:22:11 pm

The map is going to move and rotate, so a 3D flat path would be enough. Furthermore, the path is going to track mountain footpaths, so the altitude can vary a lot and a flat path would not be suitable for that purpose...

Return to posts index

Davide Mitidieri
on Nov 21, 2016 at 7:24:26 pm

The map is going to move and rotate, so a 3D flat path would be enough. Furthermore, the path is going to track mountain footpaths, so the altitude can vary a lot and a flat path would not be suitable for that purpose...

However, I didn't understand the shape/mask vertices in 3D.... is it possible to create a 3D mask of a layer? In that case, would be possible to apply the effect "Generate > Stroke"?

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 21, 2016 at 9:27:21 pm

[Davide Mitidieri] "e map is going to move and rotate, so a 3D flat path would be enough. Furthermore, the path is going to track mountain footpaths, so the altitude can vary a lot and a flat path would not be suitable for that purpose..."

couldn't you just make the path flat 3d and fake where there is altitude?

[Davide Mitidieri] " is it possible to create a 3D mask of a layer? "

in you mean that the path is in true 3D space - you will need a plugin or script for that. the one I showed you does enable the path to be manipulated in 3D space.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:59:25 pm

You could use Trapcode Particular. CC Particle world might also work, but would be a bit tricker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]