ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fractal noise following an alpha obstacle ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kilian Le Dantec
Fractal noise following an alpha obstacle ?
on Nov 18, 2016 at 4:56:49 pm
Last Edited By Kilian Le Dantec on Nov 18, 2016 at 7:12:12 pm

Hi !

So I've tried to do that for 3 days now.

I want to do an opening title sequence, where there's a moving "Rorschach Test" design, that transforms to a shape. So I use fractal noise, mirror it, but I can't find the option (if it exists) to make my noise being influenced by a shape.
The solution is not to simply use an alpha mask, because if I do that, the edges are straight lines, and I would like it to have the same edges as the fractal noise. There's a similar option of what I'm looking for, with the Generate>Advanced Lighting. You can tick a box called "Alpha Obstacle" and the effects will follow the shape or avoid it, without being fully stopped.

image 1 : My current result, we can see the edges of the shape are sharp. (There are two instances of fractal noise here : one in the middle, with the circle mask, and one all around it, with the same mask but set to substract)
image 2 : a Video Copilot video where Kramer uses the alpha obstacle.

Thanks a lot !
Have a nice day

(PS, if there's no solution, if you have a trick up your sleeves to have the same effect, or know a plugin that can do that, please let me know) :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Fractal noise following an alpha obstacle ?
on Nov 18, 2016 at 8:37:09 pm

Use the Roughen Edges effect on your shape and crank the settings up so give you the look you need.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kilian Le Dantec
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:23:02 pm

That does it ! Thanks :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:35:50 pm

You're welcome! :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]