ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ameteur greenscreen key with stop-motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Goodwin
Ameteur greenscreen key with stop-motion
on Nov 16, 2016 at 10:22:14 pm

Warning: Pretty inexperienced using After Effects

So to test it out I recorded a very short brickfilm sequence with green card behind to act as a mini greenscreen. I have no additional lighting available apart from the room light and an omnidirectional touch table lamp (not used). I used to have more lighting, again fairly basic, but I don't have access to it at the moment and the results were the same with it.

Without key:

With key, I used a random background image off Pixabay:
b.png

Admittedly the lighting environment is dreadful which may be a factor but I don't want to keep buying things just because I don't have access to them.

Could this be corrected in the camera or AE? I manually white balanced it, macro on and camera on Program mode. Compact Nikon Coolpix S9700. I'd upload GIFs of the sequence but had trouble exporting.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Amateur greenscreen key with stop-motion
on Nov 16, 2016 at 10:51:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 16, 2016 at 10:51:57 pm

Keylight performs better with a green background that's darker than yours. You need to re-shoot with better lighting.

I'd grab some lights from around the house and some cardboard boxes to cut up. Then I'd light up the Lego stuff, use the cardboard to block light from hitting the green card... plus move the green card back as far as I could.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Ameteur greenscreen key with stop-motion
on Nov 17, 2016 at 5:43:30 pm

If you're looking to key your image, there are a few ways. I've made three example attempts here with Color Range, Keylight, and copies of the obsolete Color Key effect. So, turn one example off in the layer stack, turn another on, and take a peek. 10806_legokeying.aep.zip

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alex Lindblom
Re: Ameteur greenscreen key with stop-motion
on Nov 17, 2016 at 7:11:20 pm

I managed to pull an okay, fast key with only using...
Screen gain -- 130
Screen Balance -- 50
Then
Clip White -- 8
Screen softness -- 5
But since you have the original footage you will probably get away with less softness.
And now the most important part.
Replace Method -- Source

It's the soft color choice that introduces the artifacts you see on your key. So I would say in 99% of the cases use the “Source” option for Replace Method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]