ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating Horizontal text to Vertical

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Swager
Animating Horizontal text to Vertical
on Nov 15, 2016 at 6:35:41 pm

This is a simple enough thing I see all the time in animations yet I don't see a short cut in After Effects. You have a title, normally an acronym, which the letters swing down and to the left so you can then spell out each word for the acronym.

Right now I'm having to animate each letter one by one. Is there a preset or quick trick so I can just make a layer of text move form horizontally aligned to vertically aligned?

SKHS Video Tech
SKHS Video Production

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Animating Horizontal text to Vertical
on Nov 15, 2016 at 6:43:52 pm

do you mean you need to type vertically?

to type letters use the "typewriter" preset.

if you need anything else, try to further illustrate your problem. maybe with an example to what you are trying to do.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 15, 2016 at 6:44:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 15, 2016 at 6:44:59 pm

Nope. No short cuts. You animate individual, one-letter text layers for something like this. Fortunately, it's pretty easy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Swager
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:00:58 pm

Well crud. Thanks, I just figured it's a common enough thing there would be a small cheat for it.

SKHS Video Tech
SKHS Video Production

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 16, 2016 at 4:07:40 pm

I have a cheat!
Make your text on a path. Make the path horizontal. Animate the path going vertical. Use the text animators in AE to animate the text's rotation to keep the letters upright. (Rotate per letter, not per word, of course.) You may also need to animate the tracking to get the letters separated as it moves to vertical.

Heck, you don't even need the text to be on a path, you could just animate the text layer's rotation with the text character rotation. I was just thinking of some fun, subtle animation tweaks you could do with the path to make it feel more dynamic as it transitioned.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]