ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Specific matte question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Skylar Moran
Specific matte question
on Nov 14, 2016 at 10:42:40 pm

Hello,

I am trying to recreate a rather retro effect, but for some reason I am banging my head against a wall trying to find a simple solution to create it.

I have this text with a heavy shadow effect on it. Here's a screengrab.

I want to have the white part of the text wipe on and reveal the orange shadow. I have each on separate layers. I tried using the echo effect on a matte of the text part to create a wipe-on effect, but that isn't working as smoothly as I hoped, so here I am searching for another creative idea. Any takers?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Specific matte question
on Nov 14, 2016 at 11:03:20 pm

You might want to try using C4D Lite to do this. It can extrude the extreme drop shadow.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chris brett
Re: Specific matte question
on Nov 15, 2016 at 12:07:50 am

Hi Skylar

---- I dont think its clear what you are trying to do - if you mean...

1 ) wipe on type with outline and fade up extruded flat drop shadow then :

---- draw a mask over the type and set it to subtract - this will mean you can not see it
---- go to start of animation and set keyframe on mask path
---- go to end of animation and select 'mask path' to drag the left hand side of mask to the right revealing text ( if left to right ) - set feather to suit if wanting soft edge
--- go to other layer with drop shadow and animate transparency to suit

2 ) If you mean 'grow' the drop shadow from the type with the outline then you will be able to do this using a custom matte ( you could just draw this with the pen tool or go to PS for a black and white ) --- just slide it in from 'behind' the type by selecting the custom matte as the track matte -- you might need a version of the drop shadow with the outline and type as well ( set to orange ) to make the join easy

.... I guess you could do this with C4D but I think it will be hard to match the flat retro look ( ? ) --- I dont use it myself so I could be wrong ( ? ) -- however if you like the 3D look you can also do this in an older version (s ? ) of AE that have the 3D option ( where you can extrude vectors as in a dedicated 3D package )

---------------------------------- good luck ---- chris

======================================================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]