ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bursting through the paper

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny GuardianBursting through the paper
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 3:15:04 pm

Hi guys,

I have to compose a shot where a girl is bursting through the paper, similar to this:

image_20161114071007_1.png

The paper wall will be full of magazine covers (but for whatever reason) which will be created in post after. So basically it will burst through a 'white' (or green?) paper wall.

What would be the easier option for me to achieve this?? I'm just concerned how to work around rips and bends which will occur??

Is it my best option to shoot on a green screen paper?

Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bursting through the paper
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 3:45:55 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 14, 2016 at 3:51:51 pm

Actually, you might be better off bursting the paper in a 3D application, and have the subject fake bursting through on a good green screen.

Sounds easy, huh? IT AIN'T! You'll want to run a TON of tests!

You need to understand the physics of this before you shoot it for real... even if you fake the subject bursting through. You need to see how the weight of the paper affects movement... how the paper needs to be secured... the best technique for bursting the paper. Those are just off the top of my head. You don't do this on the day of the shoot. Well, you can, but you'll end up having another shooting day or two. Better to learn under cheap conditions.

When the big-time guys get effects shots like you're proposing, they KNOW they'll work before they shoot for real... either through prior experience or testing. They don't leave things to chance. They know it's too expensive to leave things to chance.

About 25 years ago the ad agency for Miller Light made a spot where coach John Madden burst through a product shot of the beer. They printed the product shot on a life-size piece of paper, and Madden burst through it. If you can find that spot, you might get a few production clues. It would help you get ready for your tests.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeHere's the spot
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 6:10:31 pm

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Bursting through the paper
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:36:55 pm

I think making it look realistic in post will be very difficult if you just use AE. I agree a 3D application is necessary. Maybe check this video out for how to create the effect.

Now shooting it is a whole different ballgame. Definitely do lots of tests beforehand.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]