ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drop Shadow on .PNG "Staggers"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey J Porter
Drop Shadow on .PNG "Staggers"
on Nov 11, 2016 at 6:16:40 pm

Hey everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I'm having. I have a .PNG that I applied a Drop Shadow to in Layer Styles. I then selected the Blend Mode Linear Burn and I really like the effect. However when I have the .PNG scale up and make selections to have the Drop Shadow move behind it the movement is not smooth. Rather it staggers. I went into Effects and added a Drop Shadow that way it will move smoothly. However it does not give me that cool effect the Linear Burn does. There are several layers in this project and many are 3D and I have applied Lights in some of those layers. When I switch the .PNG layer to a 3D layer it doesn't fox the problem. If anyone can help that would be great.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Drop Shadow on .PNG "Staggers"
on Nov 11, 2016 at 11:36:24 pm

layer styles and keyframe animation sometimes don't mix. the render order of layer styles is to come last and this could cause all sorts of unwanted artifacts. without seeing exactly what your are experiencing it's hard to tell. if you could export a video file that illustrates the problem, this could help us help you.

either way it's easy enough to replicate this effect by using 2 layers for your drop shadow effect. one is the layer, the other would be a duplicate of the layer set below with the drop shadow effect. in the effect controls select "shadow only" and set the layer's blend mode to linear burn and parent it to the original layer above it and you are done.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Casey J Porter
on Nov 12, 2016 at 7:09:45 pm

Thank you for your help! It did work but when I applied the Linear Burn it didn't seem to change anything. However the staggering has gone away. At this time I can't upload what I'm working on anywhere just yet.

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Nov 12, 2016 at 8:34:23 pm

[Casey J Porter] "but when I applied the Linear Burn it didn't seem to change anything."

you are correct. I have checked this and with this blend mode you actually have to do some trick to make it work. on the shadow layer set the opacity of the drop shadow effect to 100%. now add a layer style to this layer to get access to the blending modes parameters of the layer. you can now delete the drop shadow layer style. reduce the fill opacity a touch.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]